SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

worried about myself-decorating style all over the place-just me?

dirtymartini
13 years ago

Ok...I hope I can get some words of wisdom the seasoned decorators on this site. I almost start hyperventilating, the more I look at magazines and in stores.

Background info-Bought a 70's ranch on an acre with a pool and 3 stall barn, renovating VERY slowly due to funds (or lack thereof, LOL.) Put in hardwood floors already.

Ok, so I was looking at a mid century modern magazine today and just DROOLING over everything I saw. Of course, my house was built AFTER that time, so I think it might be ridiculous to go in that direction. It has a barrel tile roof, and an arch at the entrance...has that spanish 70s look....

which is GREAT in some ways because I love a spanish/mediterranean look, too! Black wrought iron, colorful tiles, etc. Love that stuff! My DH and I both have a bit of spain in our ancestry, so we like the idea of going that way...

BUT, went to a friends recently who has a similar house and property...loves all the horsey artifacts, the rustic elegance...big wooden trunks, staues of horses, lots of deep toned materials as carpets/window treatments etc

I have another friend who has kind of a "hippie" style that I adore. Very artsy, colorful, lots of batik, and textures that I think would go well in our home, since it was built in the 70s....

Our house is still kind of "bare." I am scared to commit to any major pieces because I don't know where I want to go...does that make sense? I feel I need to have a sense of direction...but I am crippled by indecision. It's awful. I don't want a showplace...I want an interesting, homey place where people feel comfortable. But yes, I want a style that is all my own, too.

I know I DON'T like French Provincial...I DON'T like Early American, I don't like super modern either. I do have a few things I can rule out.

As much as I am thrilled to have a "blank slate" to work with...I almost wish I would have bought a house already renovated to point me in the right direction. This is the house we plan to be in for the next 15 or 20 years. I just want to feel confidence in my own tastes to create a home that is unique, welcoming and interesting.

SOOOO, am I the only one that feels this way? Any tips or suggestions? Sorry so long, this has been bothering me!

Comments (11)