SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_belle

Follow-up on ranch remodel gone bad-ish.

karen_belle
13 years ago

Way back in the beginning of '10 and end of '09 I posted here about my GC and their project manager and the many interesting, entertaining, frustrating and ridiculous things that happened on our job. I expressed my confusion regarding their business practices - how could they make money if their team made so many errors?

Well, in fact, they weren't making money. The GC has folded. Shocking! not.

Anyway, I did want to post here to let you guys know that, and also to brag on my DH who wrote our contract with the GC. Rather than use their form (which was based on the general form provided by the state in which we live), he wrote his own schedule of payments, completion milestones, etc. A lot of what he wrote got overruled by the mortgage company (we were doing a fire restoration with an insurance settlement), but in the end we did have a 10% retainage that we kept back for final completion.

Thankfully the GC business did not close until we were 95% done with our project. There are other clients, I'm sure, who were not so lucky. But having such a significant retainage has been a blessing. The GC was not paying their subs, and so we have enough cash on hand to pay those companies and survive the process without any liens (that's what we think based on what we know now).

The house is working well. Not everything is as I wanted. Some of the quality issues will be ours to resolve (still need to get the stone fabricator out to deal with his crappy countertop installation). But all-in-all, we do have a lovely remodeled home to live in.

And my DH can now say for a fact that having a lawyer work out a remodel contract is a good thing. ;-)

before:

after:

Comments (3)