SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primah_gw

Kitchen Island Countertops . . . Marble or Soapstone?

primah
12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Okay, I know this has been rehashed a hundred times, but I would love to get your opinions as to the countertop material for our kitchen. We have a relatively small kitchen (11'x11'), and are in the process of remodeling. I'm attaching some of our inspiration photos below.

The layout (open to the breakfast room) makes it possible to add a small island. We've designed an island to look like a furniture piece, with freestanding legs and a stretcher bar, so it doesn't take up too much visual space in the kitchen. See below:

As we are in desperate need of additional counter space, we are building the island first, and will work it into the design of the major kitchen remodel next year. Sounds a little backwards, I know, but we don't always do things apropos. Our island is in production, and we are in the process of picking a countertop. I am completely torn between a calacatta marble or soapstone. I love and hate things about both of them. I've gone to countless stone yards, and everytime I fall in love with a slab of each.

I should mention that the island will be the workhorse of our kitchen. We have young children, are messy cooks, and will care for, but not "baby" the stone. I also am not a fan of oiled soapstone (I don't want black, but do love the natural gray). I've attached some images below of some beautiful countertops in both materials (hence my dilemma):

Can anyone provide their input as to your experience with these materials? Durability? Maintenance? I know this is personal, but perhaps some words of wisdom can help me make my choice.

Thanks, everyone, for voicing your opinions.

Comments (10)