SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackiemcg_gw

Making a 4 Bedroom House 3 Bedrooms- Bad Idea?

jackiemcg
16 years ago

I am relatively new to this sight so not sure that I am posting in the right section.

I live in a relatively small house (approx 1900 sq ft) I have 3 bedrooms on the 2nd Floor and 1 on the 1st Floor. The 1st floor bedroom is currently being used as an office. I have 2 small children and would not consider putting one of them down there. We will likely have a 3rd child and the other bedrooms are really not big enough to share. We are considering raising the roof on one side of our house (the other side is already built out) Doing this will increase the size of the master bedroom so we can add a master bath and also increase the size of one of the other bedrooms making it big enough for 2 to share.

In addition to this we will remodel the rest of the house to enlarge the kitchen, get rid of a formal living room and turn it into a dining room, and combine our current family room and downstairs bedroom to make a bigger family room.

I know most of you are thinking why don't I just sell and buy a bigger house but we have been looking and are not able to get much more for the additional money we could spend. Believe it or not this really is the cheaper route.

So the question is: Would I be making a big mistake making this 4 bedroom house a 3 bedroom house?

I am in Rockland County NY-just outside of NYC (if that makes a difference)

Comments (3)