1940's WWII wedding

monica_pa Grieves

Thread on 1940's men made me do it...here's two good lookin' soldiers.

1943 - My parent's wedding portrait

SaveComment17Like
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vicki_lv_nv

I love this photo! Which couple are your parents...and who is the other couple?

Beautiful couples!

Save    
monica_pa Grieves

My parents are the bride and groom(on the right, wearing pearls). The maid of honor was her best friend since her first day of school, until she died. The best man was a friend of my father's, they served in the same unit in the Marines.

Save    
Pieonear

Beautiful!

Save    
Lindsey_CA

Great photo! Your parents are both very good looking.

I just love your mother's wedding dress. But the bridesmaid's dress is so elaborate and she's wearing a veil, too, so I thought it was a double wedding!

Save    
alisande

Beautiful photo--and your parents are a gorgeous couple! Everyone looks so happy.

I thought for a minute it might be a double wedding, too.

Save    
monica_pa Grieves

Formal weddings in Philadelphia were very elaborate back then. I have my grandparent's portrait also, from 1921, and the gowns are just as elaborate.

Save    
marilyn_c

That is a beautiful picture.

Save    
nodakgal

What a treasure! I thought like so many others it must have been a double wedding....beautiful gowns!
I have one of my parents wedding pictures too. Its just them alone but the only one I have!!
Do you have more Monica?

Save    
jemdandy

They look so young and happy - Sigh!

Save    
lydia1959

Lovely ladies and handsome men! That is a photo to treasure.

Save    
grammahony

Nice photo. I thought it was a double wedding too.
Thanks for sharing.
Leslie

Save    
jannie

What a beautiful photo ! My husband's parents and his aunt (on his mother's side) got married in a double wedding just before WW2, November 1941. They did it because they felt war was inevitable. They had a double wedding to save money on the reception. My own parents got married just after WW2, on June 30 1946.

Save    
kittiemom

Beautiful photo! You are very lucky to have it.

Save    
dotmom

Thanks for posting the pic.....Beautiful women and Handsome men. Dottie

Save    
blueheron

I love it! Did the men serve on active duty? Did you know your grandparents growing up?

Save    
justlinda

Here's my parent's "official" wedding portrait. They were both enlisted in the RCAF and were stationed away from home, out in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada.

They were married February 2, 1944.

Save    
monica_pa Grieves

My father was on active duty, assigned to the Marine Quartermaster in Philadelphia. He and my mother met at a USO dance...she was a local, and going to Temple U.

I knew my maternal grandparents very well. My grandmother's family were pre-revolutionary war in Phila. She was a history buff, and loved Philadelphia. I have so many of her antiques and family pictures.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
My Houzz My Houzz: 1940s Fixer-Upper Grows Up With the Family
After living in their post–World War II house for 8 years, a couple transform it into a home that works for their family today
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Brooklynites Take Up a Rural 1940s Farmhouse
A city-dwelling family plants new roots in upstate New York, remodeling their digs with cheerful, colorful touches
Full Story
My Houzz How One Couple Got a Perfectly Intimate Backyard Wedding
Vintage pieces, natural materials and close family and friends are an ideal combination for a Pittsburgh couple
Full Story
Nova Installations Inc. Chantilly, VA specializes in exterior home improvements, such as replacement windows and... Read More
We specialize in foundation and framing repair, remediation of wet basements, yard drainage and stream... Read More