SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Found them and you're not going to believe where!

caflowerluver
16 years ago

I called the dealer and found out the charges. I also found out that it is a Transponder Sentry Key so has a chip in it that has to be programed by the dealer.

Metal Key blank: $48.28

Black FOB with buttons: $70.61

Labor to program it (1/2 HR): $58.59

The total cost for one key would be: $177.48!!!

After getting that shocking news, I tore the house apart again and fianlly got DH to help. As I was tearing up the garage, DH comes out and says, "Look what I found. Here is your key." And where did he find it? IN MY PURSE!!! (Or so he says.) I had looked there 3 times, even dumped it upside down and shook everything out. Either the gremlins (or devil) put it back or I was totally oblivious and missed it or thought it was the key to our other car. (Can you say senile!) Or - I will let you fill in the blank!

I did learn something from all this. I am going to get a new metal key ($13) and FOB ($18) from sellers on ebay for a fraction of the cost that the dealer sells them to have as a backup. I will have to get the metal one cut by a locksmith. And if you have 2 original keys, you can program it yourself without paying the dealer.

To quote one of the sellers, You do need two working sentry keys for the programming to be successful,otherwise you will need a dealer or qualified locksmith to program as well as cut this keyblank. It would be wise for any owner to always have at least three keys on hand to avoid costly repairs later."

So that is my advice to everyone out there. Before this happens to you, get a cheap spare on ebay. Just look in your owners manual and it will tell you how to program it. Save yourself hundreds of dollars by doing it before you lose it.

Thanks for all your good wishes and vibes. They must have helped!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! (I wasn't going to drink tonight but I think I deserve one after all of this!)

Clare

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County