SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

What a day I had yesterday.....Whew!!! I am glad its over

lazypup
12 years ago

Yesterday I laid down to take a nap and when I awakened Jan said she had gone on the computer to check her email and suddeenly a pop-up appeared saying there was a virus threat..She unknowingly clicked on the pop-up for details and Kabooom, the deed was done, the screen locked up and another pop-up appeared saying we could download a virus blocker for a mere $78.

I exited out of the internet but the warning was still there and nothing else would open.

I tried to run my virus scan but it would not run,,,msg said it had a corrupted file....

Tried to got to system tools and use a restore point, but again with the corrupted file stuff, but the pop-up reappeared saying we could download the virus remover for $78.

Did a restart in "Safe mode" and still got nothing but the ad for the virus scan for $78.

I called tech support and they tried for an hour, but no help. They said all I could do was reboot the entire system, which means you loose everything on the hard drive. Fortunately I had everything backed up on an external hard drive that was not connected, so it was still clean.

On this machine the reboot program is hard burned on the drive so I turned the machine off, then restarted with F-12 to start the reboot, and guess what I got? That damn add, and the whole system locked until you subscribe for the download.

The I got an idea, When this machine was new I had opted to make a set of startup discs so I pulled them out, loaded the first disc and hit restart. This time it came up allowing me to do the complete system re-boot. Well, I am sure you all know how that goes..about 3 hours sitting her playing with that mess, and you end up back at day one, as if it is a new computer, now you have to reload your custom software and do all that day one setup nonesense.

It was finally about 1:45AM when I got down to setting up the internet connection and downloading a couple programs that I use a lot, Photoscape for one...

I hit the icon for the internet and got a blank screen telling me it could not locate the homepage....What the he*****

I tried again, with the same results..so I then set out to double check all cables to the router and modem, reset both the router & modem and tried again...again nothing....

The screen had a tab for a net connection diagnostic so I ran that....8 minutes later it said my router & modem were fine, but there was no signal from my ISP.....

About that time Jan got up to go to the bathroom so she kindly made me a cup of coffee and brought it in sort of appologetically and was telling me she was sorry she messed up the computer....

I politely told her that I was very angry, but not in the least at her, she had not done anything except to open an email, in which some A@@ hole had attached that mess.

I then called the ISP provider and discussed the problem of no signal with them and they told me that the same pop-up BS had hit the server and the entire system was temporarily off line but they had their techs on it.

Well, I had gone as far as I could with the computer so I took my coffee and went out in the kitchen where I thought I would sit and mentally cool off a while before going back to bed. So I turned the tv on and sat there sipping my coffee and all of the sudden the tv went blank, just a blue screen and a lot of static...what the he(( now?

I went to be and slept from 4AM till 8am when I was awakened by voices coming from the TV in the bedroom..OKAY!!! The system is up..so I got out of bed and came and checked the computer, sure enough, the internet was up again, so I clicked on the GW to have a few light moments while I drank a coffee, then I was gonna get busy with the computer business..or so I thought,,,2 minutes later it all went down again, no signal from the ISP.

They finally got it all working again about 10am .. so how was your day??????

Comments (15)