SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

I almost have an office...2 Photos

caroline94535
15 years ago

After removing decades of grime, glued-down avocado green shag carpeting, out-of-square doors, and a single pane window, and then adding wiring, paint (four coats for the red), miles of trim, scraping, sanding and re-finishing the original white oak floor, and using generous amounts of elbow grease, blood, sweat, and not a few tears, I almost have an office!

The colors aren't photographing true to life. They're darker, richer, and creamier than they show here. The trim is cream; not the stark white it looks like here. The ceiling is the same camel as the frieze area.

The room is still in the planning stages, and several things will be tweaked, changed, and added, but I've got the computer set up, one of the bookcases filled, and a temporary storage chest nearby.

I should be picking up the area rug and small recliner for the opposite corner this week.

I'm planning to build two new bookcases, each the size of this one (46" W x 65" H). This one will move to the living room and the two new ones, stained darker, and fitted with doors to the lower sections, will sit on either side of the window. There will still be room for the computer table to move down the wall to the right.

The chest will either be painted camel, or the "Picnic Table Red," or be replaced altogether with an older and more interesting chest. The phone wire will be properly installed with a wall plate behind the desk once we start working in the basement.

The computer is sitting on a 1920s oak library table. I haven't decided if I'm going to stain it or not. It's not in pristine condition and it's value wouldn't be hurt, or helped, by anything else I do for it. We have a vintage-style oak computer desk, but it's listing to the starboard, so I'm using this modern monstrosity until the "old" chair is repaired.

The Dog-Lovers' wall hanging will be replaced with a burgundy/beige quilted Log Cabin table scarf...as soon as I get it quilted.

The room is "Harry Tested and Approved," or will be once the area rug is down and he has a comfy/cushy dog pillow.

The closet doors haven't been painted yet...the handles are waiting to be installed...the guide rail has to be painted...all in good time. The battle scars on the chest will be healed once it's painted.

Comments (11)