SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwanny2three

I refuse to make the green bean casserole!

gwanny2three
15 years ago

Anyone have any simple veggie recipes you are making for Thanksgiving? I used to love the green bean casserole, but for some reason I hate the flavor of cream of mushroom soup now. I hate anything that calls for it in a recipe. Everyone loves it but I am so tired of it. I'd like to try something else. Something no to time consuming...not asking for much am I????

Comments (33)

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

This is amazingly good!
    I was really leary when I tried it the first time, I only made half of this...it was SO good I have made the full recipe ever since then.

VEGETABLE CASSEROLE - LOW CHOLESTEROL

2 (10 oz.) pkgs. frozen mixed vegetables

Cook vegetables according to package directions.

1/2 c. chopped onions
    1 c. chopped celery
    1 c. grated cheese (low fat Mozzarella)
    1 c. mayonnaise (no cholesterol)
    1/2 c. butter (no cholesterol), melted
    1 c. crushed wheat (no cholesterol) crackers

Mix first 5 ingredients and pour into a Pam-sprayed dish, topped with
    crushed crackers mixed with butter. Cook at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
    Serves 6-8.

• grinch_gut
    15 years ago

I am making some carrots LOL I have Trisha Yearwoods cookbook which is great and I have made these carrots for all of Brians crew out on the road and they always want them an my gosh how easy...you just slice up and quarter carrots melt butter season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven til still crisp but tender.....I honestly have need gone thru a whole bag of carrots at one time til I started making these...Stacy

• Related Discussions

Green Beans Won't Make

Q

Comments (3)
    Might be the heat, could also be soil moisture too variable. As long as the plants otherwise look healthy, you might get a flush of beans later in the summer when the heat eases. Next year I suggest you diversify your varieties, i.e., instead of just KW pole, also have some Rattlesnake and/or Kentucky Blue. That way if one variety doesn't like the weather, one of the others might still do something. Same for bush beans, if you like Nickel, you might also try Maxibel and Jade. And with bush beans you can space out your plantings; sow a new row every few weeks.
    ...See More

Need recipe for Green Bean Casserole

Q

Comments (2)
    There are a lot of ways you can make it. Basically drain your green beans, I use two cans, stir in a can of cream soup and possibly a little milk if it is too thick. You can add shredded cheese or top with sliced cheese, crumbled bacon and a can of french fried onions and bake or microwave until hot. Hope that helps!
    ...See More

Kicked Up Green Bean Casserole

Q

Comments (6)
    I thought the same thing Annie. I've never liked anything more than maybe toasted almonds on green beans, but this might be worth a try! When Guy made them, it didn't seem to be that labor intensive, although, they make everything look so damn easy! Let me know if you make it. I may make it for Christmas. Gina
    ...See More

Green Bean Casserole

Q

Comments (2)
    I'd eat in the next day or two and then toss it. I think (?) I tried freezing it years ago and I didn't like the results. David
    ...See More
  • grinch_gut
    15 years ago

Going to try that one to Noda....LOL I was really going to keep my end of making the dinner less this year should have known it wouldn't happen....oh well it is fun Stacy

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

Do you already have plans for a sweet potato casserole? The recipe in the link is what I made yesterday. I've made several sweet potato casseroles in the past, but this one really went over well. I doubled the recipe and it made a 8X13 cake pan full. My DH had 3 servings and my SIL wanted me to leave all the leftovers for her (I split them with her). Not as easy as green bean casserole, but not too time consuming.

I used drained canned yams and I used 1/4 cup less sugar (and probably could have cut it down even more) per recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom's Sweet Potato Bake

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

Alisande's Oven Roasted Cauliflower is very good!
    Depends on how many you are cooking for tho. I know I save it.
    I have this saved too, posted it on the recipe post.I haven't made this one yet, but its similar to Susans cauliflower

Easy Oven-Baked Vegetables -- e-w
    Yield: 5 servings

- 1 pound frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot medley - or - your
    favorite combination
    - 1/4 teaspoon salt
    - 1 teaspoon dried parsley or salt-free herb blend
    - 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 400º. Coat a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and
    place
    the frozen vegetables in the dish. Sprinkle with the salt and herbs and toss
    to mix well. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss to mix.

Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or
    until steaming hot and tender. Serve hot.

One 2/3-cup serving: Calories: 50, Carbohydrate: 5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg,
    Fat: 2.9 g, Saturated Fat: 0.4 g, Fiber: 2.6 g, Protein: 2 g, Sodium: 91 mg
    +++EXC: 1 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat +++WWP: 1

Glenda posted this one, I loved them. DH wasn't as thrilled darn it.

Lemon pepper green beans
    1 pound fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    2 teaspoons lemon pepper

DIRECTIONS
    Place green beans in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water. Cover, and cook
    until tender but still firm, about 10 minutes; drain.
    Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute almonds until
    lightly browned. Season with lemon pepper. Stir in green beans, and toss to
    coat

• trishaw
    15 years ago

My favorite veggie dish:

1 medium cauliflower cut into flowerets
    2/3 cup sliced celery
    1 cup sour cream
    2 tbsp. mayonnaise
    2 tbsp chopped parsley
    1/2 tsp each salt and dried thyme leaves (you can use fresh thyme too)
    3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth (i use the broth)
    2 tbsp parmesan cheese
    paprika

Cook the cauliflower about 6 minutes in boiling slated water until just tender. Drain. Combine with celery. Put into 1 1/2 quart buttered casserole.

Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, salt, thyme, cheese and broth. Stir to blend. Spoon over the cauliflower and celery. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and paprika.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until top is golden.

Trish

• grinch_gut
    15 years ago

I also will make the sweet potatoe cassorle from Trishas book another one that gets gobbled up by the crews...Stacy

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

I still have lots of veggies in the freezer from m garden so I will be making a few sides. But I like them plain...no soup or all that kind of stuff...just a little seasoning...green beans, peas and maybe some squash.

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

This is so good. Even my son who does not eat green beans went back for a second helping.

Lemon pepper green beans
    1 pound fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    2 teaspoons lemon pepper
    ***I par boil them by dropping them into rapidly boiling salted water for 2-5 minutes.
    Serves 6

DIRECTIONS
    Place green beans in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water. Cover, and cook until tender but still firm, about 10 minutes; drain.
    Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute almonds until lightly browned. Season with lemon pepper. Stir in green beans, and toss to coat.

• naughtykitty
    15 years ago

I just like my green beans sauteed with garlic and then a touch of soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Yum! I'm not a big fan of the casserole either.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!

• dotmom
    15 years ago

I'm another one who isn't crazy for the GNC. I'm making scalloped corn for my main side dish and buttered peas because I need a "green' to go with the turkey potatoes. gravy and my sunglow salad, that is yellow orange. Must be colored coordinated at all times Ha!Dottie

• Cherryfizz
    15 years ago

I have never made the green bean casserole and it has never been served at any member of my family's homes that I can recall.

Our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner veggies are usually mashed potatoes, mashed turnip(rutabaga), sometimes mashed sweet potatoes sans marshmallows or squash and orange glazed carrots. Sometimes we add fresh green beans or the tiny frozen peas. There is always a pickle tray as well as fresh made cranberry sauce. Stuffing of course is a must. LOL

Good thing about these types of veggies except for the peas is that they can be made the day before and reheated.

I missed our Thanksgiving dinner this year because of work so now I can't wait for Christmas dinner.

Anne

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

DH has never liked the green bean casserole so I usually just serve fresh green beans steamed with butter and S&P. I got this recipe from my post on the Cooking Forum. I might try it this year for a change.
    Clare\
    SPICY ASIAN GREEN BEANS
    (These sure beat the traditional green bean with onion rings and mushroom soup recipe ;-).

Beans: 1 bag (14-oz.) frozen whole green beans (Aldi baby whole green beans are excellent, you can substitute fresh, cooked, green beans as well)

Sauce:
    1/4 c. orange juice
    1 t. cornstarch
    3 T. soy sauce
    1/8 to 1/4 t. crushed red peppers
    1 small clove garlic, minced (omit if you don't have or like garlic)

1. Cook green beans as directed of the bag. Drain; place in serving bowl.
    2. Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, mix all sauce ingredients well until blended. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened and clear.
    3. Stir sauce into cooked green beans to coat.
    Note: easy on the pepper flakes if you don't like a lot of "heat".

• User
    15 years ago

1/2 c. butter (no cholesterol), melted Butter is made from cream. How can it be cholesterol free? I've never heard of it.

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

They are talking the I Can't Believe Its Not Butter Debby, at least thats what I've always used. I found the recipe on a no or low cholesterol website.

• hale_bopp
    15 years ago

Well then I'm not coming to your house for Thanksgiving!!!!

:D I'm embarrassed to say that it's one of my favorite things. I'm not sure why- it's comforting and sloppy and I can eat casserole dishes full of it. Call me crazy! :)

Blessings!
    Haley

• patti43
    15 years ago

We're having just plain old green beans cooked with a ham hock. That mushroom soup makes me queasy.

• wifetojoeiii
    15 years ago

I don't like the green been casserole either - we usually have butternut squash (from our garden), and other "plain" veggies - broccoli, brussel sprouts, or carrots and green beans - all steamed.

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

My mother, instead of green bean casserole, would make asparagus, english peas casserole, mixed with mushroom soup and topped with those canned fried onions.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I don't like the looks of green bean casserole,it looks slimy. I like simple vegetables, canned or frozen, without sauces or other ingredients. Yellow (wax) beans and green beans are my favorites.

• phyllis__mn
    15 years ago

Well, I'm making Connie's vegetable casserole, and a Cheesy Mexican Corn bake. I so seldom cook that I have spent the better part of the day looking at recipes, and trying to decide which ones to use!

Phyllis

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Our favorite is pineapple casserole and hash brown casserole.
    We also like the Veg-al casserole.

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

Phyllis I hope you like it! We sure do!

• gwanny2three
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well....that is alot of variety! Thanks..I think I'll do the veggie casserole that Connie posted...and the carrots from Stacy! I didn't know Trisha Yearwood ahd a cookbook?? Now I'll have to look for that! I'll have to buy three...one for me and two for gifts! DH has informed me that he really wants a green bean casserole...I get chills at the thought of the taste! I used to like it years ago, but now I can't stomach it at all! ICK! Guess we'll have lot's of veggies to eat!

• vicki_lv_nv
    15 years ago

I didn't know Trisha Yearwood had a cookbook either. I am interested in the carrot recipe. I love carrots!

I make and eat the green bean casserole about once every 3 years...but I put so much stuff in them (onions, celery, bacon bits, seasonings, etc) plus a huge can of those onions. LOL

• dex215
    15 years ago

Cherryfizz: Are you by any chance a Canadian? We always have mashed turnip (rutabaga) with turkey dinner, but here in Florida people don't eat it much. My mom used to add vinegar and sugar to mashed turnip, but I can't seem to make it as good, so I make a turnip puff. My mom also used to make a salad with Miracle Whip. My kids like it that way once in a blue moon. We never had green bean casserole. Have a happy Thanksgiving everybody!

• carol_in_california
    15 years ago

We usually just have steamed fresh green beans with a little bacon and onions but one year DH insisted we have green bean casserole.
    I made it and he said he didn't realize it was so awful.....but thought it sounded good when he heard the ad on TV.
    So, it is always fresh steamed green beans here. No telling what we will have at our friend's house.

• gwanny2three
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well....I don't have to make it after all...DIL called to see what she can bring. Guess what I told her?? LOL....I get queasy thinking about making it!

• liz
    15 years ago

I don't make the green bean casserole but if all I have is canned green beans I'll sometimes dump out the water and add a can of cream of mushroom...but then you're trying to avoid the mushroom soup so I guess I haven't helped you much...I'm down to my last three or four jars of my sis and I's canned green beans from the garden so as long as I have those I'm cooking those with a dollip of olive oil, some bacon, onions and S&P and I'm good to go...I'm gonna have to make a trip to Illinois soon and raid her pantry for more canned beans!

• LorifromUtah
    15 years ago

Use cream of chicken soup instead. We don't like cream of mushroom either..

Lori

• gazania_gw
    15 years ago

Steamed or roasted veggies with simple seasonings are all that make it to my Thanksgiving table. With the bird, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce and possibly sweet potatoes, we don't need any more high fat and high carb dishes. My diabetic daughter will quickly tell you that you can no longer call it a "vegetable" after you have added cream soups, mayonnaise, cheese, etc to the dish. After telling you that, she will add..."and corn is never a vegetable".

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I'm glad your DIL is taking the GB Casserole. Good solution. The way I figure it, if everybody else loves it on Thanksgiving Day, they should have it. Wouldn't be the same without it. Until everyone else comes 'round to your way of thinking, I think it should be on the table.

Every year I make a few Brussels Sprouts for Hub and one dtr because they love them. And vegetarian dressing & gravy for a different dtr. You gotta do what you gotta do.

• hayjud_mn
    15 years ago

If I do make it (although I prefer NOT to)
    I do like Lori and use cream of chicken instead. I really can't handle that yucky cream of mushroom soup!

I much prefer plain green beans with s&p and butter. Who needs all the extra calories and salt!