SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

As seen on TV: I need this one, big time!

glenda_al
13 years ago

Had a fall in the tub. last nite, and I sure could have used one of these.

Off to Bed Bath and Beyond, today, to get one, PLUS a rubber mat for the tub.

Comments (49)

• jannie
    13 years ago

I have four grab bars throughout my tub/shower. They are great! I had them installed by a remodeler. The latest one is actually to replace a towel bar broken when my husband slipped in the bathroom. He grabbed the towel bar, it ripped out of the wall but saved his life. We found a 24 inch grab bar and had our handyman install it. Go for several, Miss Glenda !

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

I have one. Mine lost its tension and have to have DS show me how to get it back

• Related Discussions

I'm new and need help big time

Q

Comments (15)
    Imagine the shoe being on the other foot, and you were inviting your old girlfriend to visit "you" for a week. And behind your back, she was whispering to your own dear husband of her love for him, and his heart and ego were swelling at the thought of what it would be like to be with her, and dump you? And you ( being played as the innocent fool) is so excited to have this friend (or who you thought was a friend) come to see you, in your home!!! Unknown to you, this "friend" has secretly been whispering to your husband of her "love" for him, and her "feelings" for him. Your husbands heart is racing, just thinking of being with her soon. The years that you have put into this marriage, and the pain that will last a lifetime as you are betrayed by people you thought you could trust. Do you now get the picture of what you are doing to the man you claim to love?!? To your husband who believes he is with a woman of integrity and honor???? You claim to love him, but would betray him in such a way? Are you kidding me? Treat this dear husband of yours as you would want to be treated if the shoe were on the other foot. Act as you would want him to act if one of your own friends was saying and doing what his "friend" is doing to him behind his back. What would you want him to say to a friend of yours who was trying to steal your husband from you, while acting as "your friend"?????
    ...See More

*headdesk*...I've seen it 1000 times. Why didn't I try it before?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks for all your comments... I am still painting---I work a LOT and have little extra time, so I have to fit this project in an hour or so a day. However, I really do love Ivoire and I am SO happy I tried it. It just seems to be the perfect color for my things. *grin* P.S... I used the "Cashmere" paint and also LOVE that. I have never painted with SW before, but now that I know there is a store in my town, I will be a loyal customer! The finish is so much nicer than even the top of the line Behr or Valspar paints. I even prefer it to BM. YAY!
    ...See More

I need big time help!

Q

Comments (1)
    Here's a page with two ram/sheep molds. Sorry I couldn't find any religious molds. That same site has some Easter molds, and a couple menorahs. Not sure what you were looking for exactly. HTH Crafty Here is a link that might be useful: Sheep Molds
    ...See More

NEW: Big one time seed swap

Q

Comments (171)
    I am very pleased with the different varieties! I got my package yesterday and went through it last night. I'm excited to grow some of the new to me varieties. Thanks for getting all this work done despite surgery, etc. I'm sorry you had so much on your plate, Belinda. You hosted a wonderful swap!
    ...See More
  • patti43
    13 years ago

Oh, gosh--did you get hurt? I bought one when we lived in the apartment and they are well worth the money. I put ours on the side wall of the shower to hold on to when getting in and out. They sure do cling and won't leave holes. Great invention!! Wish I hadn't donated it to Habitat or I'd send it to you :-(

Oh, they come in two sizes so I recommend the big one.

• donna37
    13 years ago

I have a big one, found on a discount table in Orcheln's farm and home store. I really like it, and it's on the tub/shower wall.

• socks
    13 years ago

Glenda, don't do that again. Seriously.

• kayjones
    13 years ago

Glenda, I have the one in the picture, found it on a discount table at Walmart for $10. Mine worked for a while, then it got covered in black mold and now, it won't clean up and it won't adhere to the tub - it now sets in my garage, ready to be tossed in the trash.

I'd recommend a permanently-attached grab bar instead.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

I find those dangerous. Surprised they are allowed to be on the market If they lose their suction at the wrong time a dangerous situation could be created. Worse than having nothing at all.

Grab bars should be installed properly and permanently with proper hardware, preferably into walls that have been blocked for the purpose.

Glenda, I think you are renting? Suggest installing a few properly placed grab bars to your landlord. It could c lower his liability/insurance rates to do so.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

Oh, Bummer, Glenda. Don't ya just hate it when that happens? Hurts too!!. We live in senior apartments, and there are grab bars galore by the tub, and we used them diligently. I hope your not too bruised, and glad nothing was hurt except maybe your dignity. LOL

• chisue
    13 years ago

We have permanent grab bars in the tub and shower at our vacation rental condo -- also rubber mats if people want to use them.

One of the things I like about my Ultra Bain jet tub is that it has built-in handles inside the tub. My arms are much stronger than my legs these days. I can *safely* hoist myself in and out.

Sorry for your fall, Glenda. Do ask about getting permanent bars installed. (They have to be screwed into wall studs.)

• sue_va
    13 years ago

I have three grab bars. . .one over the faucets, one at the end of the tub and one on the shower wall in the middle. They are built in. I also have a shower bench, that I purchased. I've read that most injuries in the home happen in the bath tub.

Glenda, you probably should have grab bars installed if you plan to stay in the condo.

Sue

• hgl_gaylemarie
    13 years ago

Glenda, I would never trust one of those. Get the permanent ones. The best money my Mom ever spent. I have to use them now.

• whidbeykathy
    13 years ago

I bought that one, it does lose suction and it does mold. I just had a permanent one installed on the wall to hold onto.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I live in a condo, which is all mine!

I went shopping, no see at WalMart, Big Lots, Kohl's. Was no up to going to Bed Bath and Beyond.

No luck on finding good bath mats either.

Bed Bath and Beyond is on my list for tomorrow.

I'll take that into consideration about getting permanent ones installed.

Thanks everyone for your input.

• mimi_boo
    13 years ago

I rent and have that same exact bar. I just make sure it's securely fastened each time I enter the shower. One can never be too careful when living alone.

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks Glenda, I never thought about it till now, that will work great on my spa. I seaw them somewhere real cheap, it may have been the flea market or a $ store. Maybe Bealls.

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

Glenda I found nice bathtub mats at Dollar Tree.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went to Dollar Tree, and mine didn't have any, grrrrr!

Big Lots had one, but directions said to take up after each use and let it dry completely. DON'T WANT THAT

• wildchild
    13 years ago

Glenda since you own your own condo go with the permanent intall. That way you can do the whole bath. Grab bars are much n more fashionable than before. DH and I will be putting them in when we remodel. It is never to soon.

• blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

Glenda: I hope you are OK, and hope the stiffness/soreness quickly passes. Really glad you are attentive enough to take this as a warning and take steps to protect yourself from it happening again. I've seen many previously-independent people fall in the Shower/bathroom and never get back on their feet again. Did you know that bathroom falls and their after affects kills as many people in America as drunk drivers? Please get permanent grab-bars installed by someone who knows how to anchor them into studs.

Most local Senior SVCS agencies keeps a list of EXPERIENCED installers who are priced for low-income work. Many times, if you can prove you have grab-bars installed around the tub/shower/toilet homeowner's (or renter's) insurance payments are adjusted downwards. it's much safer, and funner too, if you find a bath partner to wash your back and toes.

Most workers in the senior care field will strongly suggest that at the very least: wait until there is another person in the house to bathe, in-case of emergencies.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, blitzyblond_protege! I just went to my county and looked up SVCS and what they have to offer. I didn't see anything about low income work, but I will certainly give them a call to see if they have anyone that does that.

Yep, last nite was a wakeup call to me.

• lindyluwho
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry you fell. I hope you didn't hurt anything. Please go with a permanent installation. I wouldn't trust something that was held on by suction.

Linda

• chessey24
    13 years ago

I agree that you need permanently installed ones - you can get them at Home Depot or any large hardware or bath store.

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

I've also fallen getting out of the tub. A simple no cost-remedy ...before you get out, drape a damp hand towel on the rim of the bathtub, and put your hands on it as you climb out. A damp terry towel will not slip.

• cheekybones
    13 years ago

Glenda! Glad you are ok. Take care.

• redcurls
    13 years ago

I was sorry I had spent the money and was not at all confident about it holding. I'd have that tile guy who did your recent backsplash come in and install you a safe one (or two). Kinda try getting in and out of a dry shower or tub and mark with a pencil where you would really benefit from having one. I once had one that was not in a convenient location.

• teresava
    13 years ago

Glenda-I'm sure that must have been quite a scare! I'm glad you are okay and hope you get some grab bars installed soon!

• jaybird
    13 years ago

(((Ms. Glenda))) I hope you are okay....

• Cherryfizz
    13 years ago

I'm glad you are okay Glenda. Falls in tubs are scary.

Do you have a homecare type of health store near you, a place that sells canes, wheelchairs, etc. I went to one here and was looking at those stick on grab bars years ago for my Mom and was told they could be quite dangerous because you could go to use it and it might come lose and put you in more danger of falling.

Since at that time my walls were not good in my bathroom and I could not install permanent grab bars they suggested a type of handle/grip that clamps onto the side of my tub. That did the trick and I kept it on the tub until my bathroom remodel. Sometimes my brother will come over to use my shower after his knee surgeries because I still have my Mom's bath chair and he will put that clamp on to help him get in and out of the tub. He is a big guy and it doesn't move at all when he uses it.

My bathtub is the original one to the house and it has big wavy indentations on the bottom so it doesn't get slippery as some tubs too but I still use a very good non slip bath mat - not a Rubbermaid type of one.
    I will find a picture of the clamp online somewhere to show you. I don't think it was very expensive.

Anne

• Cherryfizz
    13 years ago

Here is a site that features all kinds of grab bars including the type of bar you are looking for. Amazon sells the one you want for around $14

Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: Grab Bars

• cynic
    13 years ago

I refrained from commenting on this but people might be misled. These things are a joke. First, who would put the handle on the bathtub like the picture? What good would that do? Fasten it to the tile? First, a suction cup has limited strength but even if it were "permanent" you're relying on the adhesion of the tile to the wall! When you fall it's not just your weight it's also the force of your motion. Do you think a tile with some grout and a little glue will hold 300-400 pounds of pressure? And that's probably what it would be if you were truly falling.

I looked at grab bars at Home Depot. Been thinking of them. *Real* ones that are installed with screws cost from $8 and up. Simple to install too. Only a fool would buy a suction cup. Suction cups have trouble holding up my paper towels for cryin out loud. No way I'd trust that with *my* safety. And of course, a suction cup loses it tension so in a few months when you rely on it, FLOP!

I got suckered into buying those press in corner wall shelves. After it damaged an antique copper pot, I learned my lesson. Think before you jump.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    13 years ago

cynic - I just gotta say that as much as I love so many of your posts you have just been very disrespectful to Glenda, minnie, donna, and kayjones by calling them fools. Although I agree that permanent grab bars would be a better solution, it's easy to play in a friendly manner.

Sheesh, I don't know how many times I have said this same thing to DH. Just when I think he's doing so much better, he'll inevitably sling another insult about someone I like. I'm beginning to think you really -can't- teach an old dog new tricks. :)

So glad you weren't hurt, Glenda!

• cathyid
    13 years ago

Wow that could have been a serious fall, Glenda. Glad you were not seriously hurt. I'm sure the reason they say to take the mat up, is to make sure it dries out and doesn't grow any mold. Especially with winter coming and things are closed up so tightly. I just bought two new mats, because the first one I didn't think to check the size on, and it turned out to be too small. I needed it in our shower, not a tub, so I bought another one and it is a good 6-8 inches longer. If possible the permanent grab bars would be safer, and here we can find people at the medical supply stores that can do those things if you need help. It didn't seem like much difficulty putting them in, when we had they installed when our son was still living here.

• mariend
    13 years ago

When DH had open heart surgery, bathtub all gone, now big shower. With built in rails and a built in seat. So much safer and easy to get in and out. Those suctions ones are not safe.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

I just gotta say that as much as I love so many of your posts you have just been very disrespectful to Glenda, minnie, donna, and kayjones by calling them fools

I don't see anywhere in Cynic's post where Cynic calls anyone out for being a fool. He criticized the product. Cynic used the term fool broadly speaking.

In fact he told a slap at himself for being "taken" by a product. Lighten up. If the shoe fits don't blame the messenger.

I'm sick of having people slap down anyone on this board who uses logic and reason.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    13 years ago

Well, he -did- say "only a fool...". And I don't think I was slapping down Cynic. He's a big boy that doesn't get his panties in a bunch if someone wags a finger.

But, I am in a weird mood. I"ll check back later and re-read my post. If I feel an apology is warranted, I would offer one.

Too bad you felt the need to slap me down on that one, Wildchild! Lighten up!

• roseluver
    13 years ago

Glenda, I have had both my knees replaced and it was difficult and next to impossible for me to get out of a tub. I went to a local store that sells wheel chairs, walkers, canes, etc. There I found something that helps me get out of the tub and is safe. It is a inverted u shaped bar that screws onto the tub, no damage to the tub whatsoever. It is about 24 inches tall and doesn't budge when my 200 lbs. pulls on it. I believe the cost was about $40 although Medicare paid for it. You might look for something like this for your tub.

• kacram
    13 years ago

glad you are okay..

Here is a link that might be useful: arose, here is one from Cherryfizz's link.. is this like your's?

• cynic
    13 years ago

Oh for sure my knickers aren't knotted, no doubt. Wag your fingers all you want and use the finger of your choice! I'm just one of those stupid chickens that try to warn people occasionally if I think they're making a mistake. I sometimes forget that it's not nice to tell the emperor he has holes in his underwear. I guess this is why I've quit telling kids not to touch the hot stove. Once burned, twice shy, lesson learned? All a person can do is hope the burns aren't too severe and they grow up learning a lesson or two from it from it.

I still think people should rethink the idea that a suction cup will stop you from severe injury and highly suggest anyone investigate what holds tile to the wall. Steady yourself? Sure. That's something it probably can do quite well. Shower curtain rods do that but can we agree that it's probably not going to hold a persons weight? Simple glue goes onto the tile holding it to the paper on the gypsum board. Assuming the suction cup holds, (and people who have used suction cups for other purposes probably have noticed they lose their strength after a while), and assuming the glue holds the tile to the paper on the drywall, (ever see a toilet paper holder or towel rack pulled from a wall?) and assuming the drywall is protected adequately so it's not damp and weakened, these things can be an accident waiting to happen. And I can imagine the threads posted if that should happen.

I thought about this product. Thought about it for my dad too but after a few minutes of thought then dope-slapping myself I went NO WAY! I'm not telling you to take my word for it. I do highly suggest you do some research. Taking a commercial's word for something is dubious at best but when there's a product out there purporting safety that is a liability in the making caution is usually good advice.

Does anyone remember the Dalkon Shield? Seemed like such a good idea to insert a jagged piece of shrapnel inside one's body didn't it? The commercials said it was the best thing since, well, sex. Nobody thought that jagged edges could rip up one's insides even though that's how the product worked.

Now maybe I underestimate the product. If anyone does get one I hope they give it a test. Maybe put it next to the toilet and use it to lift yourself up. If it fails you shouldn't fall far and if it holds we'd all like to know. It could have a purpose for steadying you as I said. Kind of like the "grabber" things. They're valuable for certain things but certainly not made to lift cement blocks down from the top shelf nor do they work well as a cane.

And to eliminate controversy I withdraw the sentence "Only a fool would buy a suction cup." I do however reserve the right to "I told you so" if it becomes applicable!

• kayjones
    13 years ago

Quote : "And to eliminate controversy I withdraw the sentence "Only a fool would buy a suction cup." I do however reserve the right to "I told you so" if it becomes applicable!"

Good one, Cynic!!!!!! LMAO!!!!

• ivamae
    13 years ago

Mine lost its tension as well and was very, very dangerous. I have permanent ones installed now, and they are wonderfully helpful.

• janie_ga
    13 years ago

Glenda, I am glad you are okay enough to be out shopping!

Both of our houses in GA had grab bars and the second one had an extra high toilet. We LOVED them. When we bought the second house the little old lady made a point to tell us that SHER didn't need those bars but they were then when she moved in, lol. We now have a claw foot tub (which I have grown to HATE!) and cannot connect grab bars since the tub is surrounded by shower curtains. The toilet is the standard size one. WE SO look forward to moving and getting a house with a driveway and a decent bathroom- grab bars will be installed ASAP along with a high oblong toilet.

We are not the standard age where grab bars are usually recommended but they are good of everyone and with both Eric and me having herniated discs, the extras in the bathroom are a true luxury!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    13 years ago

cynic - Yes, perhaps I did over-react to that particular statement and for that I hope you'll accept my apology.

What set me off was that just 2 hours earlier, a group of us were standing around talking. One of the girls was talking about Real Housewives of DC and the Salahi's... you know, the infamous party crashers. DH stepped in and said that "only an idiot would sit and watch that crap". The look on that girls face was a mixture of shock and hurt, which she quickly tried to cover with a fake smile.

I thought it was uncalled for and extremely rude. As the wife, it was embarrassing as well. Until this post, I thought I was over it. Maybe not so much. LOL

Glenda - I'd like to apologize to you as well. Sorry for taking your thread in the wrong direction.

• roseluver
    13 years ago

Yes Kat, the link posted is exactly like the one I have and it reallllly works.

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

Here's a visual for you when I'm ready to get out of the tub I turn around and get on all fours then grab the side of the tub and twist then grab the toilet which is next to the tub then grab obto the close sink and up she goes, !! watching that the cat has moved from besides the tub. If she is there it is a long step over her!!
    Once I'm out I can grab onto the doorknow!!!

• cynic
    13 years ago

moonie_57, you don't owe me an apology or an explanation. Don't give it another thought. Sorry I hit a sore spot with you.

Minnie, quite the visual! Keep in mind a sprinkle of water (a few drops is all it takes) will send many-a-cat flying out of the room! :)

I'm just wondering why more of us, including myself, don't use a shower/tub chair???

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

I'm just wondering why more of us, including myself, don't use a shower/tub chair???
    cynic
    I have one in the shower bathroom but I don't like to take howers. Tried it in the tub but it just didn't work out. Ic an still get down in the tub thnk goodness. I think I got mine at Walmart and it is very nice

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

When we re did our bathroom a few years ago, we installed two mounted to the wall. A rather long one on an angle on the biggest wall above the tub and a vertical one on the short wall at the edge above the tub. We also have a clip on one on the tub itself. I use the vertical one and the one on the tub all the time.

Sue

• ivamae
    13 years ago

Anyone getting a shower/ bath chair, be careful what you get as well. I got one, on the advice of a therapist but the one I chose had too much wiggle to it. Althugh I never did have a problem, I felt I wasn't safe enough. I use a regular plastic stool now and find it works well for me. Maybe others wouldn't like it. I have the thing on the side of the tub. It is wonderful, I also have a bar on the back of the tub, one on the end and one on the wall across from the tub. I use them all and feel quite safe now.

• sue_va
    13 years ago

When I had my first knee replacement, a friend loaned me her shower seat. It was a great help. When I had the second KR I bought one like the pic. I'm still using it and wouldn't want to ever be without it.

It is adjustable height and has rubber tipped legs. Also has drain holes on the top which don't show, if they are there, in this pic.

What I don't understand is why Medicare won't pay for a SS. They covered my quad cane, walker, bedside commode, but not a SS. I got mine at a local Medical Supply place. Cost $40.00.

So many accidents happen in the bath tub, I think a seat is a necessity.

Sue

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!