okwriter
15 years ago

I posted this on my blog tonight...

KNOCK. KNOCK.

WhoÂs there?

GOD.

UmmmmÂokay. So what do you want?

THIS IS YOUR WAKE-UP CALL.

So thatÂs not exactly how the conversation went, but itÂs close. Throughout the years, my dad has had his share of health issues. Bypass surgery, stents, prostate cancer, toe amputations, Staph infections, etc. But my mom has remained fairly healthy with the exception of a disobedient thyroid. In fact, she just returned today from a 5-day road trip to Tennessee with my sister.

Imagine my surprise when my sister called this evening and said she was on the way to the hospital with my mom! She couldnÂt breathe and her back was hurting. (Turns out her blood pressure was through the roof, too.) After an EKG, chest x-ray, blood work, and a breathing treatment, they determined she had a very irregular heartbeat. It was racing but not racing regularly. She is on oxygen and will be there at least overnight until they figure out what is wrong and how to treat it.

My mom is 79 years old and weights 98 pounds. I know we are all going to die someday, but I felt like tonight was a real wake-up call. And not one that I wanted, eitherÂ

Comments (12)