SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chessy_gw

neighbor's house is buzzing!

chessy
15 years ago

Hello -- I'm mostly a lurker, but have commented from time to time during the last few years. I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle a situation we've got at home:

Our new neighbors installed a radon pump with a fan/motor mounted on the outside of their house to vent radon from their basement.

Beginning this summer, the fan/motor has been buzzing REALLY LOUDLY all summer long. It has been very irritating to us if we sit outside on our patio or open our windows on that side of the house. So, we don't open our bedroom windows on that side of the house or sit outside on our patio as often as we used to. The noise can be heard equally loudly in the front or back of the house. The closest thing i can compare it to is an electrical transformer; if you've ever heard of one of those buzzing loudly, that is exactly what it sounds like, and just as loud.

I've done some looking around on the internet, the fan and motor when working properly should only be about as loud as a refrigerator.

Friends who visit ask what is making that noise because it is so loud on the porch, and even the people who live across the street can hear it, although not nearly so badly as we can. We aren't being overly sensitive.

We've spoken to them in a very friendly way about this a couple of times, and they admit they can hear it inside their house and in fact, it vibrates the wall it is next to. They tell us that they will call the people who installed the system, but apparently don't follow through.

I guess the next step is to call the town hall. I don't know if there is anything they can do, though. I am not one who wishes to do something to bring ill will with my neighbors, but I really don't think it's right for them to not take care of this.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022