SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjacker

What type of bulb gives the best light for reading?

cjacker
13 years ago

I know there is a lighting forum, but it seems there is much more activity on this forum and people are willing to give there opinions here.

I am going to put swing arm lights on each side of our bed and wondering what type of bulb gives the best light for reading. I've always just had incadescent bulbs in my home so that's what I've read by but am wondering if halogen or LED would be better reading light.

Any and all opinions would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Comments (24)

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

I've been using CFLs in the swing arm lamp on my nightstand.
    Works great. The CFL's don't output the heat or glare that incandescents do.
    What you have to remember about CFLs, the amount of light output is measured in Lumens (not watts). If you are happy with the light output of your current incandescent, look and see what how many lumens it outputs, then buy a CFL that has the same Lumen output.

Many of the CFL companies put on their box "equalvalent to nn watt bulb. They rarely are. It's apples and oranges.

• cjacker
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Monica. I hadn't even thought of the CFL's. Do they flicker like some of the tube fluorescents?

• Related Discussions

Best time to order lily bulbs and best type to get?

Q

Comments (7)
    Hostaholic2.... By "La's" Do you mean L/A hybids? I just tried looking it up and that's all I could find. Here is a link to one: http://www.qscaping.com/NetPS-Engine.asp?CCID=20000010&page=pdpprint&PID=2734 Is this the type of lily you mean? Looking for ones that have nice stiff stems and don't get too wide. What is special about the hybrids? Trying to learn as much as I can, and right now am planning on planting some Asiatic and Orietals for blooms throughout the summer. Could I replace one of those varieties with the L/A hybrid because they don't flop as much? Thanks for you help and experience! :)
    ...See More

What type of lighting is best for a laundry room?

Q

Comments (5)
    You can buy light bulbs which are called daylight. It gives off a pure white light which results in seeing the true color of things. Any type of lighting you put in you will be able to use these types of light bulbs.
    ...See More

What Type of Light Bulbs For Chandelier?

Q

Comments (7)
    Joe, I would click my heels with glee over the "excuse" to purchase fabulous reproduction bulbs to show off that chandelier. Check out the link & give the friendly folks at Rejuvenation a ring if you haven't done so already. They have been fabulously helpful to me over the years. I've seen fixtures like yours (one still in use in my husband's grandmother's home when it was sold a couple years ago) and in fact I have the original light bulb with my grandmother's entry fixture with the little tip, still works. My dad presented it to me saying "sometimes you just have to build obsolescence into a product, light bulbs used to work until someone broke them but no one made money that way!" Reproduction bulbs offer simplicity, romance, and "authenticity." When electricity was new, folks showed off their light bulbs and admired them for the wonders they truly were. The light was dimmer then, the look and mood so different than if you put a spanking new bulb from a big box store. Your grandparents' original chandelier in the dining room begs for princess treatment! Here is a link that might be useful: carbon filamont light bulbs (Rejuvenation)
    ...See More

What are the Best Types of Pool Lighting?

Q

Comments (0)
    Want to wow your friends when they come to your next BBQ? Flip on your lights for a fun-filled summer night swim. Lighting can change an average pool into a piece of modern art that is the centerpiece of your garden oasis. Whether submerging the lighting to illuminate the water or setting the ambiance for a photo contest garden look, pool lighting brings out the strongest feature of your outdoor sanctuary. Read our latest blog to find out everything you need to know about the best types of pool lighting.
    ...See More
  • monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

NO flicker - it would drive me nuts !

• nanny98
    13 years ago

My "old tired eyes" have really learned to appreciate the "OTT" lights. The first one, I dragged it along with me in and out of the motorhome...to and from bed etc. Now, I have them everywhere that I read or sew. They are costly, or have been, but my first one, now 10 years old (and the real thing) is still going strong, while cheaper ones have failed all to quickly. Nanny
    BTW I replaced the last bulb with a "real one" from Joann's, with a coupon...it is working fine, whereas the cheaper bulb replacement from WW didn't last long.

• vala55
    13 years ago

I stick with incandescent.

• donna_loomis
    13 years ago

I also love the CFL bulbs. I "can" read okay with incandescent, but the CFL makes it so much easier with much less eye strain. And trying to knit with black or navy yarn using incandescent is nearly impossible for these old eyes.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

Donna Loomis's post about it makes knitting easier with the CFL bulbs makes me want to run out and at least replace the bulb by my chair. I've had to give up knitting with dark yarn because of my old eyes. I'm going to try them.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised reading that you guys read good with the CFL's.
    I hate those things with a passion. They just aren't bright enough for me. Here in Ontario, incandescents are going to be banned and unable to buy, by 2012.

• cynic
    13 years ago

Bulbs vary so much it really isn't possible to say what's best since each person is so different. I get eye strain and headaches from warm white bulbs. A cousin doesn't like cool whites. I always prefer daylight bulbs when possible but they're not that common and for me cools are equivalent. I use less light for reading with CFL than I did with incandescent. One 100w equivalent is fine where I was using 2-3 incandescent bulbs for newspaper reading right before I switched.

I've converted most everything inside and outside to CFL and don't regret it at all. Actually I really appreciate it when the electric bill comes due. See what works best for you.

• redcurls
    13 years ago

I've changed to the incandescents, but don't like them a bit. Even the 23W CFLs (which are supposed to be close to a 100 watt bulb) don't seem bright enough to read by AND they seem to take forever to even GET up to their maximum brightness. I would NOT use halogen anywhere near bedclothes or any other combustibles. They burn way too hot. Even in floor lamps, the law now states that the floor lamps with halogen bulbs must have a screen over them because too many fires were started by them touching drapes.

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

There are CFLs and then there are CFLs. CFLs are made with different phosphors and that affects the light output. Some of the "bright, daylight" varieties output to the high end of the spectrum (toward the blue). These are good for inpecting work pieces, but may not be comfortable for reading. Many CFLs have a narrow spectrum of color. These will seem 'harsh' to your eyes. Other CFLs yellow quickly and may seem low on output. Let your expereince with other CFLs in your home be your guide. If you have no CFLs in the house, ask a friend to observe his/her lamps and take along typical reading material. If you like viewing color pictures, many of the CFLs may not render good color across the spectrum. In general, flourescent lamps tend to be very stong in narrow color bands. The lamp makers of better lamps may use a mix of phosphors to spread the color band.

In my opinion, halogen lamps give the best all around results for reading and viewing colored spreads, but these are incandescents and do generate a lot of heat per lumen generated.

Whichever lamp you choose, safety is a high concern since it will be used around bedding with the potential of the user falling asleep while it is on. I do not recommend an exposed bulb. If the lamp dips and contacts bedding, its surfaces should run cool enough to exclude a fire and burn hazard. For example, the user might fall asleep, roll over and contact the lamp head with his hand in the process - Ouch!

The bases of CFLs run hot and unfortunately, this is where the electronics reside. High heat stresses elecronics and speeds their ultimate destruction. Check Comsumer Reports for any recalls of CFLs. In the past, a few did spew sparks when they failed and this is unacceptable.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Cynic, a couple years ago a couple's house caught fire from the base of the CFL they were using. It was in our city and was in the paper. Scary as heck.

I really dislike the hype of CFL. They are much more expensive to manufacture and dispose of. Also, they haven't been out that long, purported to last 7 years, and I've already replaced 3 of them. And they weren't even in an enclosed shade.

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

If you are buying a CFL bulb due to the box saying "comparable to a 150 watt bulb", or similar ---- you are reading the wrong words.

Watts are the amount of electric energy that is USED, charged to your electric bill.
    Lumens is the amount of light PRODUCED - the BRIGHTNESS.

Don't fall for cheap CFLs that mislead you with the "watt" figure - go by the "lumens" figure.

• vala55
    13 years ago

One of our neighbors had a CFL blub catch fire, luckily he was home and saw the flames. He had 4 inch flames coming from the base of the bulb. He took it to a fire station and they said it was a common problem. He researched it on the internet also and removed everyone from his home. For awhile I couldn't find an incandescent bulb anywhere. When I did I stocked up on them. Now they are everywhere again. I think "whoever" is in charge, is rethinking the dangers of the bulbs and of mercury.

• cjacker
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've had company over the weekend so just now getting back to my post here.
    These lights will be in our new home and the wiring is already in on each side of the bed for the swing arm lamps.
    I appreciate everyone's opinions...it looks like everyone has different opinions on the best lightsing to read by and that is what I wanted from my question, but I'm still at a loss for what to order. I guess I will " wing it " LOL and hope for the best.
    Thanks to each of you for sharing.

• vala55
    13 years ago

You will like the swing arm. I had it with my old bed, but my new bed has the small spot lights built in. The very tall headboard.

• ynette
    8 years ago

Can you advise? I use energy savings ceiling light for reading? What wattage bulb should I use? If the ceiling light comprise 3 downlight linked in series, what would be the wattage for each?

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

LEDs are the best lights to buy. 11 v is equal to a 60-watt bulb. Buy daylight bulbs, not soft white, it's a brighter white.

• User
    8 years ago

I have macular degeneration so good light is a must for me. I'm also an inveterate reader and spend at least a couple of hours before I fall asleep reading in bed by the same lamp arrangement that you're contemplating, cjacker. I was using CFL's but the light wasn't bright enough. I recently discovered that Sylvania makes a soft white halogen bulb that is fantastic. It's so bright that the 60 W replacement/equivalent [which uses only 43 W] is the strongest/brightest that I could tolerate. They're long lasting and energy efficient. The brightness lumen is 610 on the 60W equivalent. I paid $11.99 for a 4 bulb pack at BJ's.

However...that being said...if I ever change the lamp fixture itself, I'll look to replace the two of them with something that is LED compatible. I agree with Jasdip that they're the best these days. Until such time...I'm delighted that I found the halogens.

Anne

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Anne, if you found the light from the CFL bulb not bright enough, you could have simply bought a larger bulb with a higher output. You can get CFLs in outputs equivalent to incandescents of multiple hundreds of watts, A CFL with the lumen output of a 120 W incandescent is perhaps too strong to use as a close reading light but would use 30 watts of electricity.

Jasdip, I think light color is a matter of personal preference. I find both halogen light and light from daylight color bulbs unpleasantly harsh. I don't know if that's perception or simply a life's worth of familiarity with cooler temperature light. The electrical efficiency of an LED vs a CFL or other fluorescent isn't significantly different for most people and for most uses. The light quality does vary, no argument.

• ynette
    8 years ago

Jasdip & anne_ct: Thanks.

I cannot use the LED as my fittings are not for those. Previously, the owner used incandescent lamps but now I use the energy savings (do not know if this is the CFL). I use my living room a lot and lie on the sofa when working so the downlight (3 in a row) is about 2 m from the working surface (I think). I cannot use a single downlight as previously when I did so, the single or 2 used downlight get finished soon. So, right now, I used three 8W energy saving bulbs (believed in combination they should be 24 W and according to what was said in the box, an equivalent of 80 incandescent watts) and by right this should be alright as a single round flourescent tube (of the same energy saving type) is 30W (or equivalent of 80 incandescent watts). As I have very high power (my specs is very thick), I am extremely concerned that I should use the correct "dosage" of lighting.

Also, not sure if there is such thing as bulbs that are too high of a wattage for a fitting, and if so, what will happen. Also, is there such a thing as over brightness for the eyes?

Rgds,

• User
    8 years ago

Anne, if you found the light from the CFL bulb not bright enough, you could have simply bought a larger bulb with a higher output.

You're quite correct, Snidely. My problem was that these particular light fixtures won't accept anything larger in overall size than the CFL I had in place. They're old, one of a kind lovely fixtures that were built for incandescent bulbs. I don't want to replace them until I must. I was ecstatic when I found the halogen bulbs because they are almost carbon copies of the incandescent bulb design and fit perfectly.

I, too, find the light from the halogen a tad harsh but my sight needs are so demanding these days that I tolerate it for the pleasure of being able to read small print that's often times light gray rather than the preferred dark black.

• User
    8 years ago

Also, not sure if there is such thing as bulbs that are too high of a
    wattage for a fitting, and if so, what will happen. Also, is there such
    a thing as over brightness for the eyes?

Yes, ynette, there are recommended wattages for lamps. Depending on how much data you have with the lamps that you're using, it/they should have come with the recommended wattage on the lamp data. There, also, may be a recommendation label affixed to the lamp itself. Too high wattage in a lamp that's only meant to use a 60W bulb can cause one or multiple problems. The fixture will over heat. Fortunately...in most instances...it will burn out the connective area of the fixture rendering it completely inoperative. In more unfortunate scenarios...it can cause fire. It's important to stay within the recommended wattage for every lamp/fixture.

And, secondly...yes there is recommended brightness but I'll be darned if I can quote any applicable information for you. If I were you...I'd ask your ophthalmologist or an optometrist. Either should be able to help you. In my case my Drs have recommended that I use as much light as I, personally, can comfortably tolerate. However...anyone [like me] who has macular degeneration has natural light sensitivity and I must wear dark glasses when I'm outside in the sunlight. Go figure! But sunlight actually blinds me if my eyes aren't covered with dark lens whereas fabricated light does not.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

I'm sticking with incandescent also. Got my stash of bulbs, lamps, 3-way rewiring kits, fixtures to last the rest of my life hopefully. Only place that has anything else is the kitchen and baths. Even the baths are mostly good old school incandescent except for the fan lights. Saw the ban coming despite the lies and prepared for the day.