SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monica_pa

10 years ago, I saw the worst of Americans

monica_pa Grieves
12 years ago

10 years ago, I used AOL as my internet access, and visited many forums there. When the chance came to moderate forums for a free membership...I selected and was given two forums that I had a special interest in. Not real busy forums, but a great bunch of people.

Those forums were New York City and Airlines FFers and employees.

September 11 was the busiest, and worst, day of my life.

I was at my desk, watching the Today show when the planes hit. I used to stay frequently at the Marriot hotel which sat between those buildings, and immediately thought of the employees there.

I open

my" AOL forums, and saw an immediate huge jump in posters. New names. And what the posted was vile, hateful and disgusting...about New Yorkers, etc.

I opened the airlines forum, and saw the same expressions of hate.

These, were interspaced by post from regular posters who were frantic about friends and family.

They were verbally attacked.

Normally, monitors sent posts up to AOL for deletion, if we felt they were unsuitable.

No sooner did they start, I received an email saying that I was authorized to delete any and all post I deemed offensive.

I was swamped, and AOL sent others to help me clean up.

The decision had been made to keep the forums open as a means of communication...so many people were asking about co=-workers and friends who were on aircraft and in NYC.

I sat there all day....did nothing else....and it was close to midnight when Things had "calmed down".

I'm letting all this out because this is my recollection of 9-11. Not a patriotic one, but a realization about just how cruel people can be.

Comments (20)