SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Book of the Week

stacey_mb
9 years ago

Cool water : a novel / Dianne Warren
Title in U.S. - Juliet in August.

I had heard good things about this novel, but was reluctant to read it. Call me a reading snob, but I thought that it couldn't be very entertaining at all, considering it was set in rural and small town Saskatchewan. I grew up in rural Manitoba, the province next door to Saskatchewan, and life there was pretty mundane.

But I really loved this book and can definitely recommend it, partly because it was such a relief to read about ordinary, decent people struggling with regular issues like relationships and money problems. And yet it's far more than that - it takes the ordinary and shows the dignity and beauty of everyday people and events. It has humor, poignancy and some lovely scenes.

At first, it may seem that this book is comprised of short stories, but only the first short segment is pretty well stand-alone. The other sections focus on a person or group of people living in or around the town of Juliet, and their stories continue by turns in following sections. Then their lives intersect as the novel progresses.

I finally decided to read the novel because it is an entry in the Book lover's calendar for 2014 for October 11/12 (I was skipping ahead in the calendar for reading ideas). This is its entry:

"Set in a small town in Saskatchewan, this novel brings to mind the work of authors such as Annie Proulx and Richard Russo who choose familiar and even unremarkable settings and then render the residents of those places marvellously distinct and alive. Warren's characters range from an overburdened middle-aged breadwinner to a widow who just might be finding love again to a struggling farm family. The plot hums along nicely, but even more memorable is the deep and moving insight into the human condition."

...and whatever happened to Antoinette the camel?

Comments (17)