SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kfca37

Do you live near a....

kfca37
13 years ago

very well known/tourist spot that you have never been to?

I remember years ago dating a guy who was born & grew up 30 miles from the Grand Canyon, and was in his late 20ties but had never been there---though he seemed to have traveled extensively elsewhere. I thought that odd.

We live a bridge (& a short bus-ride) over to San Francisco, and although I spent a lot of time in my younger years over there shopping & clubbing, I was thinkng the other day that it's been about five years since I've been in downtown SF. Never thought I'd ever be such a stay-at-home!

Comments (30)

• patti43
    13 years ago

Yep, I've never been to Epcot. It's only an hour and a half away, but I have no desire.

Kfca37, Harry's daughter and family live about 45 minutes north of San Francisco. We haven't been able to get out there but have seen beautiful pictures of the wine country. Have you been up that way?

• jel48
    13 years ago

I've still got time but...

I've lived in the Michigan UP for 2 1/2 years now and still haven't made it to Mackinac Island!

• Related Discussions

if you live near PA/MD/DE/VA please read this

Q

Comments (1)
    She was safely found in the median of a major highway and is probably back home by now. A happy ending:)
    ...See More

A Great Deal on Bluestar...if you live near Seattle

Q

Comments (5)
    Does anyone know the approximate shipping weight on the 36 inch Bluestar? I live in Vancouver, B.C. and have been looking seriously at this unit. My 1954 RCA Estate range is getting a bit tired. I had her thermostat replaced a few days ago, and she's back to running hot enough right now, but this price is pretty tempting. I'm thinking we could transport it ourselves. We don't have a local dealer for Bluestars. The closest is in Victoria, and they've quoted me almost $7,000 Canadian PLUS shipping. Suggestions?
    ...See More

Do Any of You Live Near Fort Worth Texas?

Q

Comments (43)
    I just have to chime in here and tell all of you, I would so love to come; I live west of Austin and could easily come to Ft. Worth, except that I take care of my mom (age 94) and I don't have a backup. I am soooo homebound; it is a lonely life and I so much wish that I could come and join the party. Whenever you all have a get-together and I don't respond, it's cause I can't, NOT because I don't want to. The longest time I can be away from home is 3 hours. Someday when things are different, I hope to join in. Y'all have fun and I will be there in spirit.
    ...See More

Do you have a World Market near you?

Q

Comments (19)
    I bought two armless slipper type chairs from WM and they are fine quality for the price. I needed the seating when I was hosting a large party and thought I could use them in a bedroom afterwards, but I like them so well and they look so good that I made room for them in my living room. They really are only used when I have guests and I'm very careful to keep my grandson from having food or milk or sticky fingers near them because I doubt they will hold up too well against those things. They are covered in a microfiber and I'm just unsure if it would spot clean too well. They were on sale and I got an extra 30% off because they were floor samples. I bought some beautiful coordinating pillows for them, too. I also love the international food selection and the inexpensive wine selection is good, too. The have great greeting cards and wrapping items. I've bought a few little toys, too, some I've not seen anywhere else. I'm not sure if I'd drive hours to visit one, but it's a good all around import store in our area.
    ...See More
  • bigfoot_liz
    13 years ago

yup! never been to any other walt disney world park but epcot LOL they have the flower show and food & wine festival. i will be going to animal kingdom and magic kingdom sometime soon thou. never been to Universal studios either, well i did a horticulture tour of their hotels but that's it. the parks are only 20 minutes away LOL too. some of the more minor places like gatorland i haven't been to either. i try to stay out of those tourist areas ~ liz

• vala55
    13 years ago

I live 40 miles from The Cosmosphere and have not been there. It is a museum based on space travel and very popular. There is one pod on display there. And of course the salt mine tour in the same town, I have been down there and it is beautiful. It's not at all like I expected a mine to be. A lot of the old movies are stored down there along with many other things for preservation.

I lived 80 miles from Yosemite for 3 years and had neighbor's who lived there all their life and had never been to the park. Hard to believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Space

• Kathsgrdn
    13 years ago

Never been to Keenland in Lexington. Don't really have a desire to go either. Lexington is getting ready to host the World Equestrian games and I thought about taking the kids to the Horse Park (different than Keenland) for one event or other just to see what it's like. All I know, is it's going to be a traffic nightmare in Lexington and surrounding towns while the event is going on. Lexington is already jam packed during rush hour and it's just going to be that much worse. I'm really dreading it since I have to work right downtown. There are supposed to be people from 60 different countries here! They should have had it in Louisville, much bigger city, more spread out and better to handle the added traffic.

• phyllis__mn
    13 years ago

And I've never been to see the "world's biggest ball of twine rolled by one man" in Darwin, MN. DGS and bride had to make a detour in a road trip in order to see it!!

• marilyn_c
    13 years ago

No big time world attractions...but I never go to Galveston except to go pick up possums at the animal shelter. No interest in the beach. I've never been to the big dog track they put in near here...no interest in gambling.

I wish I lived near Epcot or Disney World. I've been several times and I loved going. Like Kathsgarden though...my first thought now is the traffic, when going somewhere, and do I want to deal with it. Usually...no. Now, I will go to a big flea market...looking forward to Canton this fall and Round Top (Warrenton) in a few weeks.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

There's a canyon with a HUGE waterfall you hike in to see,in my little town. Less than 3 miles away.....lived here 20 years.....never been until THIS summer! Now I've been twice!!! :0)

• wanda_va
    13 years ago

I've never been to the Vietnam Wall, the WWII memorial, the Washington Monument, or Arlington Cemetery. Pretty sad since I was born in D.C. and have lived in the area all my life.

• kfca37
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I've been thru the CA Wine Country several times. Very pretty area. BUT, when was the last time I was there...well I remember distinctly the news of Princess Grace (Kelly)'s death coming over the car radio at the time, When was that, the early 1980's?

I'm one of those people, I guess, who likes the "idea" of traveling much more than the actual traveling.

• Nita__AZ
    13 years ago

I was born and raised in MA about 50 miles from Boston. I have never been to most of the historic sights there.

Now I live within 16 miles of Tombstone, you know Wyatt Earp, Doc Holiday the OK Coral and have been there many times taking visitors. I don't think there is a sight in this part of AZ that I haven't seen.

• chisue
    13 years ago

We're 30 miles north of Chicago and haven't gone downtown often since DH retired! We do drive part way -- to the NW side -- to visit our DS and family.

jel -- When DS was three we drove around Lake Michigan and stayed on Mackinac. You should go! We got a brochure and letter from the Grand Hotel last month. They are practically *giving* away their services during this recession.

Phyllis - You wouldn't be 'stringing us along' would you?

• joann23456
    13 years ago

I live just north of Boston, but have never gone to the Bunker Hill Memorial or to a number of other historical sites.

I've also never gone to Walden Pond, though it's nearby.

• jel48
    13 years ago

I've always wondered why it is we'll go far away and visit attractions and not bother with those in our own backyards. It was that way for me when I lived in Nebraska (where I grew up) and also for the 14-15 years that I spent in Minnesota, as well as here in Michigan. I AM doing better now, by the way!

• hgl_gaylemarie
    13 years ago

Only 126 Miles from the Alamo and I've only been there once. Lots of wonderful Misson in the area I'd love to see.

• donna_oh
    13 years ago

Football Hall of Fame in Canton OH--live 8 miles from it & have no desire to go! LOL

Donna (^_^)

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

Niagara Falls abouot 110 mi. fom where I lived till I was 17 and I'd never been when I lived there, or afer my family moved o the prairies.

After university and seminary, when I went ot Korea to do refugee relief ...

... the Koreans couldn't beleive that I'd never seen Niagara!

ole joyful

OLE JOYFUL

• golfergrrl
    13 years ago

I've lived in San Francisco for 35 years and have not yet been out to Alcatraz.

• kathyg_in_mi
    13 years ago

Mackinac Island too! Only 2 1/2 hours north, and I've been over the bridge many times! One of these days!
    Kathy G in MI

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

I live about an hour from Branson and I've never been to any of their shows or to Silver Dollar City.

• lavon46
    13 years ago

Every year I watch the Rose Parade and yet have never gone, its about an hour and a half away from us, but just seems like it would be such a traffic nightmare. I did go to see the floats on display the day after once, but that was many years ago !

• wildchild
    13 years ago

Don't go to San Francisco unless others want to go. Like Lindakathy I've never toured Alcatraz either though I've been in the greater bay area my entire life.

Seldom go to Santa Cruz beach boardwalk, maybe once every 3 years and then only if others want to see it.

Don't do Six Flags Great America or the Mushroom Festival.

I don't even go to my own downtown unless I absolutely have to and leave as soon as possible.

I'll be going to see the Rockettes Xmas show elsewhere
    even though they'll be in my own city.

I rarely visit our Northern California beaches and prefer to go south toward the central coast.

I've never been to Reno Nevada even though it's a relatively short drive up.

We have dozens of state parks that I've been meaning to visit but never have except for a handful.

• bbaird
    13 years ago

The Statue of Liberty. (Unless, I went as a kid and don't remember)

I live in Manhattan (my whole life in this area).

I always figure it'll always be there, so, what's the rush? Although, 9/11 made me think twice about it always being there. And, yet, I still haven't gone. I've passed it more times than I can remember when I've been out on the water, I see it all the time when I'm at the river...but, I've never gone over to it.

• fran1523
    13 years ago

I visit my daughters in NYC often, but last year was the first time I saw the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center. Haven't been to the Rockettes show either but have been to the opera at Lincoln Center.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

I probably live about 50 miles from the Indianapolis 500 track and have never been there. It really isn't in Indianapolis.

Sue

• lowspark
    13 years ago

marilyn c, you must live pretty close to me. I live in SW Houston. There isn't a WHOLE lot to see here as far as tourist attractions. Houston is more of a "great to live" place instead of a "great to visit". But I've pretty much covered what there is - Astrodome (been there a million times for games but when my kids were young, we did an official tour with the cub scouts), NASA (a million times!), Galveston (a Zillion times). Plus a lot of lesser known attractions like the downtown tunnels, all the major museums and a bunch of smaller ones.

Been to most but not all of the Texas attractions including the Alamo, State Capitol, too many caves/caverns, Canton, etc.

And I can attribute most of my experiences to the fact that I had kids. A lot of this stuff I'd definitely done pre-kids, but once I had kids, it was always a matter of finding something to do when we had days off.

Around Houston, we've done the MOST obscure stuff like driving by a house that Howard Hughes lived in and the Center for Photography museum, a very small space with photographs on exhibit, and the Telephone Museum. My kids actually grew up LOVING that stuff.

One son now lives in Austin (attending University of Texas) and we've done some of the same kind of stuff there when I visit. Once you do the "famous stuff" it's fun to do the obscure stuff!

My other son attends Columbia in NYC and lives walking distance from Grant's Tomb. We went. And we know who is buried there: Grant and his wife. LOL

• jannie
    13 years ago

I grew up 25 miles from Niagara Falls yet only saw it a couple of times. Involved a long drive and crossing the US-Canada border.

• petaloid
    13 years ago

Six Flags Magic Mountain is not far from me, but I've never been inside.

Lavon mentioned the Rose Parade. Another local attraction I have never been to.

Perhaps I should put more local treasures on my list of things to do.

• teresava
    13 years ago

I live right outside Washington D.C. At one point I had been to everything 5 times because of all the guests we had that wanted to see it too. DH and I don't take advantage of Washington DC enough, but we try to go see the monuments and museums sometimes. It's a nice family activity to go walk around esp in the spring and fall. And the galleries and museums usually offer different shows and programs during the year. The best part is that most of them are FREE!

Wanda!! Get yourself to DC one of these nice fall weekends.

• wifetojoeiii
    13 years ago

I live about 40 miles from Niagara Falls and have been there MANY times and I am going tomorrow. I have been to the Indy 500 twice, Epcot 3 times, Disneyland (CA) 4 times, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Boston, Football Hall of Fame, Baseball Hall of Fame, Hockey Hall of Fame, and San Francisco all once and definitely would go back to each!

For those KTers in NY, Penn & Ontario - Letchworth State Park in Western NY is the Grand Canyon of the east - absolutely beautiful and the fall foliage is spectacular. It is easy to see many sites driving through the park in a car and I really recommend it. Niagara Falls and Letchworth are easy to do in one weekend will restore your faith & love in Mother Nature.

hostapasta