SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

MIL question

kittiemom
15 years ago

Some background: DH's 95 yr. old grandfather lives across the street from DH's cousin & his wife. They are app. six hours each way from us & from DH's youngest brother. Middle brother is even further away. Granddad is generally in good health (just had a full workup at the hosp), but has macular degeneration & diabetes. These things mean that someone has to be avail. to drive him & that someone has to help make sure that he's eating the right things. He is completely mobile & has hobbies.

DH's mom & dad are currently taking a trip of N. America's inland waterways & rivers in their boat & won't be home for several months. DH told me yesterday that MIL had asked if we could go sometimes & stay with granddad so the cousins can enjoy some time to themselves. I was kind of surprised at this. They don't exactly live down the street. The cousins haven't asked for this, MIL just decided that it would be a good idea.

It is very difficult for DH or me to take time off work. We both have demanding jobs & I really look forward to doing some things together & enjoying ourselves when we can be off. Obviously, to provide the cousins with any real time away time, we'd have to take off at least one day from work, probably two. DH is a licensed pilot, so we could fly down (which only takes a couple of hours each way). But due to time & budget constraints, DH hasn't flown in over a year. We certainly can't afford to fly there very often. BIL & his wife are in basically the same situation as us.

I've mentioned respite care by an agency & also asked about granddad's DIL, who also lives nearby. She is the cousin's mom & was the wife of granddad's son (he's deceased). I was told that the respite won't really work & that the DIL already stays with him some.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I love granddad & don't mind helping. It would be a lot different if they were across town or even a couple of hours away instead of six hours each way.

Part of me feels that MIL shouldn't have said anything about it. DH feels bad about it now & wants to help. He even mentioned flying granddad here to stay with us for a week or so. He couldn't stay w/BIL, as all their bedrooms are upstairs. I asked what he'd do during the day. All of his hobby stuff is at home. Also, he needs someone to be with him during the day. We're both so swamped at work that it's almost impossible to take time off.

I guess I partly feel that we should help out & partly feel that MIL should leave her trip until later & do this herself. She is retired & we're not. I hate feeling like this. I think a large part of it is that I deal with a lot of very needy people at work. They are very nice, but it's like they can't do anything on their own. Also I'm the main person who has to help out my dad, as my sister is very unreliable. I guess sometimes I just get tired of being needed & don't want to add anything else to my plate.

Sorry if this is rambling. I hope this came across the way I meant it. I don't want to sound as if I don't love or want to help DH's family. But sometimes I want to be selfish & say, "I need some time for myself".

Should I just go along with this or say something?

Comments (16)