Progresso Tomato Products
15 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (20)
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
Related Discussions
Tomatoes that are early and productive like Siletz, but taste bet
Comments (19)Almost any tomato grown in the garden and picked ripe from the vine is going to taste better than anything you'll buy in a super market. Farmer's Markets are also a good place to try different kinds. Tastes differ. I love the taste of Fourth of July tomatoes but most everyone else turns their nose up at them. Tart, smooth and small enough to eat easily out of hand. Soil, water and climate may be the most deciding factor. Tomato A which grows great and tastes wonderful in the SE may not do well at all in the high prairie. And vice versa. We have heavy clay soil, row irrigate out of a ditch with snow melt water from the Yellowstone. We have cool nights, 50s to 60s, maybe 70s later and warm days from 70s to 100s in later July and early Aug. But we can get cool, wet summers too with mostly 50s and 60s for weeks at a time. So I keep trying anything I can get and keeping my standbys. I know I'll always get 4th of July no matter what the summer is like....See MoreDetermining Productivity of Tomato Plant
Comments (15)Apologies if it seemed I wasn't taking your question seriously. I was. And I gave you what my definition of a high-yielding, a productive, plant is. But your question has some under-lying assumptions that just don't hold up IME. Believe it or not, most home gardeners don't count the number of fruit on their plants, they don't keep a running total of number or size, most don't weigh the fruit produced by each plant either, and most don't grow for yield anyway but for taste. A perfect example is Brandywine which has the reputation of being a low producing plant yet it remains one of the most popular. So for those of us in that group we define a high yield plant as one that makes a lot of tomatoes and has to be picked every 3-4 days. But over the years of growing literally hundreds of plants each year, hundreds of varieties, and growing those varieties anywhere from 4-15 years in a row, one can easily determine which varieties are high yielding and which are not in their particular garden IF that info is of interest to them. However that in no way means that same variety will be high-yielding for anyone else in their garden and their climate. This isn't to compare a beefsteak with a cherry tomato. That would be silly. That may seem silly to you but you would be amazed how many people do just that and post statements like "I only grow cherry varieties because they are so much more productive" or "why isn't my Brandywine setting fruit when my cherry tomato plants all have 100's of fruit on them". It's how you would define a yield from a particular type of plant. And how I define yield is does that particular variety consistently, year after year, out produce other similar varieties that I am also growing in my gardens. My Amish Paste produced 4 large fruit (over a pound) and there are about 6 more fruit still on the vine weighing about 8 oz. Would you call that a low, moderate or high yield? Compared to my Amish Paste plants growing in my garden, in my climate, with my feeding and watering regimen, I would call that very low. But that doesn't mean you can label Amish Paste as a low-yielding, low-productive variety or that I can call it a high yielding variety. There are too many other variables to slap yield labels on varieties. You got 3 doz. from Paul Robeson and over 3 years of trials I was lucky to get 3 tomatoes from each plant. So what do we label it? I have no idea what any of my fruit weigh because I don't weigh them unless they appear to be extra-ordinary - I just eat them. ;) Dave...See MoreWhat is your most productive tomato?
Comments (38)If you like Yellow Pear, you should try other pear tomato varieties, too. Some of them are supposed to taste pretty good. Also, there are many strains of Yellow Pear, apparently. Beam's Yellow Pear and the version that victoryseeds.com sells are supposed to be among the best. Austin's Red Pear is supposed to be the best Red Pear strain. You can get Austin's and Beam's at seedsavers.org. Other pear tomatoes to consider include at least Honey Drop (from doublehelixfarms.com), Chocolate Pear (rareseeds.com), Green Pear (rareseeds.com), Ivory Pear (rareseeds.com), Red Fig (rareseeds.com), and Indigo Pear Drops (it's an OSU high anthocyanin tomato that may end up being PVP; up to 1000 fruits per plant). Also, I don't know if they're productive, but there's Evan's Purple Pear and Cherokee Green Pear. Honey Drop looks like Yellow Pear, and it is supposed to taste very good. Note that there's also a round cherry tomato called Honeydrop Cherry. The only place to get the pear one that I know about is at doublehelixfarms.com. Here are links to the pear tomatoes: * http://www.rareseeds.com/chocolate-pear-tomato/ * http://www.rareseeds.com/green-pear-tomato/ * http://doublehelixfarms.com/honey-drop * https://awhaley.com/seeds/vegetables/tomato-indigo/indigo-pear-drops * http://www.rareseeds.com/ivory-pear-to/ * http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_yellow-pear.html * http://www.seedsavers.org/beams-yellow-pear-tomato * http://www.seedsavers.org/austins-red-pear-organic-tomato * http://www.dianeseeds.com/tomato-cherokee-green-pear.html * https://www.mariannasheirloomseeds.com/heirloom-seeds-catalog/mariseeds-heirloom-tomato-seeds/green-tomatoes/cherokee-green-pear-detail.html * http://www.rareseeds.com/evan-s-purple-pear/ * http://www.rareseeds.com/red-fig-tomato/ Productivity depends on other factors besides variety, too. For instance, Park's Whopper may be productive in some areas, but where I live, I only got a few tomatoes (granted, they were good). I live in a hot, dry, desert-like area (not a long-season one, though). Varieties I've actually tried that produce well here include Early Girl, Yellow Pear, Red Pear, Husky Cherry Red, Roma, Grape, and Galapagos Island (Solanum cheesmanii). Our Roma tomatoes look like a different strain than the grocery store ones, though (they're pointy). One large variety that seems to be very productive from everything I've read about it is Mortgage Lifter. Estler's Mortgage Lifter is supposed to be the best and most productive one, but it's not easy to find right now. Napa Giant comes from Mortgage Lifter (selected for size such that it's a significantly bigger). * https://www.heritageharvestseed.com/tomatoesef.html (Canadian site; search for Estler's Mortgage Lifter) * http://www.selectedplants.com/ (This site may also have Estler's Mortgage Lifter.) * http://shop.wildboarfarms.com/NAPA-GIANT-NG.htm Siberian is supposed to be very productive (and early). Same for McGee (McGee is indeterminate, too), Glacier and Cold Set (aka Coldset). Oroma and Saucy are half Roma and half Santiam. Because Roma is pretty productive, I imagine Oroma and Saucy might be. Oroma and Saucy have the added advantage of being parthenocarpic, which should boost productivity even further. Other parthenocarpic tomatoes include (among others) Legend, Santiam and Gold Nugget. Super Sioux is supposed to be pretty productive. I've heard Opalka is very productive. Grosse Lisse should be, too. Punta Banda and Cuautli Salubong are two that are supposed to be very productive in hot, dry areas. Sweet Ozark Orange is said to be fairly productive. Yellow Ruffled is said to be pretty productive (as well as tasty and heat-tolerant). Malinovoe Chudo (aka Raspberry Miracle) is supposed to be very productive. Celebrity, of course. Matt's Wild Cherry. Sweet Million. Sugar Lump (in some areas; not mine). Park's Whopper CR Improved (probably not in my area). Barry's Crazy Cherry looks productive. :) Here are links to some of those: * http://shop.wildboarfarms.com/BARRYS-CRAZY-CHERRY-BCC.htm * http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_oroma.html * http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_saucy.html * http://doublehelixfarms.com/raspberry-miracle * http://www.timeless-tomatoes.com/grosse-lisse-aka-trophy.html * http://www.timeless-tomatoes.com/opalka.html * http://www.timeless-tomatoes.com/glacier.html * http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_mcgee.html * http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_santiam.html * http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_legend.html * http://goodmindseeds.org/catalog/tomatoes-2/red-tomatoes/ * http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_gold-nugget.html * http://www.superseeds.com/products/early-girl-tomato-f1-hybrid-60-days * http://shop.nativeseeds.org/products/tm007 * http://www.timeless-tomatoes.com/super-sioux.html * http://www.timeless-tomatoes.com/sugar-lump.html * http://parkseed.com/parks-whopper-cr-improved-tomato-seeds/p/05380-PK-P1/ * http://www.superseeds.com/products/celebrity-tomato-f1-hybrid-78-days * http://www.timeless-tomatoes.com/siberian.html * http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/tomato.html (search for Coldset) * http://www.timeless-tomatoes.com/matt39s-wild-cher39.html This is just a guess, but I'm thinking tomatoes advertised as being good canning tomatoes would be likely to be productive (since unless you have a lot of plants, you need good production to do much canning). Black Giant is supposed to be productive pound-wise: * http://www.dianeseeds.com/tomato-black-giant.html...See MoreTomatoes with huge production?
Comments (20)Sey, In the hypothetical you describe, what do you mean by the term... "stabilized hybrid"? Do you mean that you've taken your own hybrid and stabilized it into an OP? If so, why would a seed company want to do this? I mean, where is their incentive? The benefit of selling a hybrid is proprietary product. Sure, a backyard gardener has the incentive, and growing out saved seeds from hybrids has the potential for a nice result, but it's certainly not guaranteed. If the genetic lines are similar, then sure, the odds of getting close to the parent hybrid rise, but even so, you'll lose a bit of 'hybrid vigor'. This year I got a volunteer from one of the hybrids from last year's crop. It is an interesting tomato. I'm sure it is a throwback. The fruit is small and flatish - about 1 1/2" across, and 3/4" high. It's like a mini-mater. It has a nice taste, is meaty, ripens quickly, but is nearly useless lol. It's larger than a cherry, and does have a core, so it can't be eaten in one bite. And without just tossing it into a foodmill, it's too small to hand process. In fact, because it has just a small core, it might be perfect for a foodmill. But again, and now this is a volunteer that is sprawling so it surely is not at its best, the yield isn't rocking anyone's world lol. So... sure... growing out a hybrid is a fine endeavor, but unless you want to stabilize it into an OP for your own personal use, there's no incentive for seed companies. In fact, if they got caught selling an f version of a hybrid, beyond the hybridized generation, and labeling it as the f1 hybrid in question, they could get in a bit of legal trouble. Then again, I may have misunderstood the hypothetical lol....See More- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

EDIBLE GARDENSSummer Crops: How to Grow Tomatoes
Plant tomato seedlings in spring for one of the best tastes of summer, fresh from your backyard
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZHouzz Products: Save a Taste of Summer
Can't bear to part with the flavors of summer peaches, berries and tomatoes? Then jam on it!
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZHouzz Products: Wood, White and Metal
Crisp yet warm, these furnishings and accessories for every room bring in nature in a most chic way
Full Story
BENEFICIAL INSECTSAttract Pollinators for a Productive Edible Garden
You can lure bees, butterflies and birds into your yard with the right flowers and nesting spots
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZHouzz Products: Summer Color for the Patio
Set a sunny, happy outdoor scene with accessories and furniture in sea blue and sunset orange
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZHouzz Products: Stock Your Kitchen for Autumn
Serve hearty meals with a side of style by gathering up these fall-perfect pots, linens, serving pieces and kitchen tools
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZHouzz Products: It’s Prime Time for TV Dinners
Welcome the new television season with a chic viewing and dinner party for yourself or a few friends
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDHouzz Call: Home Farmers, Show Us Your Edible Gardens
We want to see where your tomatoes, summer squashes and beautiful berries are growing this summer
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Canning, Preserving, Steaming, Dehydrating
20 products to help make fall produce last through the season and beyond
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARD9 Ways to Change Up Your Vegetable Garden for the Coming Season
Try something new for edible plantings that are more productive than ever
Full Story
monica_pa Grieves