SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

A special visitor! Cardinalis cardinalis; 2 pics

caroline94535
13 years ago

I've lived in ND since December 2002.

A couple of years after moving here I heard "birding group" rumors that Northern Cardinals, Cardinalis cardinalis, were nesting near Fargo, ND.

Two or three years after that, I was told by a reliable birding authority that at least two pairs of cardinals were nesting in Grand Forks.

Well guess what! This morning, at about 0908, I was having morning tea outside, watching the birds, hoping to see more oriole fledglings when ...

Drum roll, please...

...A female Northern Cardinal, that main stay of southern gardens and a constant joy of my Arkansas childhood, came soaring into my North Dakota garden, landed under the sunflower seed feeder, and began eating as if she'd always been here.

She ate from the ground; she ate from the feeder; she drank from the ground level birdbath...and then she flew away. I just know she'll be back!

A link to the Cornell site's info on the Northern Cardinal is posted below. Obviously their range map is not current.

P.S. Yes; I know my southern friends are shaking their heads and thinking, "Carol's lost it." But just imagine your reaction if you lived on the frozen tundra and had not seen, or heard, a cardinal in eight, EIGHT years.

You'd be giddy, too!

P.P.S. And yes, "Frozen Tundra" might be a bit extreme, but it gets the point across! LOL

Not my photos, but here's a male and female cardinal

And a female

May your day be blessed; mine already has!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell's cardinal info

Comments (17)