SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gazania_gw

Medicare and new providers of durable medical supplies

gazania_gw
15 years ago

As of today, medicare recipients of durable medical supplies in some areas of the country have to find new Medicare approved providers of such goods. This includes such things as CPAP, Hospital Beds, Wheelchairs, Diabetes testing supplies, etc.

As usual, with anything that the government is involved in, it doesn't get taken care of in a timely manner. Our notice from Medicare of these changes came by mail last Wednesday June 25. In said notice it tells of how information about these changes can be found on line starting May 1st. What good did that do me?!

As it happens, the povider of Dh's diabetes testing supplies that we have been using sent us notice in April that on July 1st, 2008, Medicare would no longer reimburse them for claims. They went on to say that we would recieve information from Medicare in a short time as to who we would be able to get our durable medical supplies from and that we would have several choices, but that they would not be one of them.

So the situation now is that DH will need more testing supplies by noon this coming Thursday. But the dozen or so mail order pharmacies that Medicare says he must now choose from want a new written rx from his doctor, a copy of his most recent A1c (blood work) and of course all insurance info. Plus 2 of them that I called said that they will have to send a form for Dh to take to his doctor to fill out to send along with the rx.

Anyone else involved in this? I see that parts of California, Florida, Missouri, Kansas, North and South Carolina, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Texas are included in this "test" of "Medicare-contract Suppliers". The program will expand to 70 additional areas in 2009. So you all look forward to being screwed soon!

Comments (7)