SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Did Enoch poison Aunt Addie w/arsenic? Latest update w/pics

rosemaryt
12 years ago

I posted several days ago about my Aunt Addie. I've learned quite a bit since then.

Here's the super short version.

My Great, great Aunt Addie married Enoch Fargo (of Lake Mills, Wisconsin) in 1896. Uncle Enoch (22 years older than Addie), was a rich and powerful man. After five years of marriage, he allegedly grew tired of Addie and wanted her out of the way so he could marry his new love, Martha ("Maddie").

According to local lore and "Ghostly Encounters; True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels" (by Frances Kermeen) Enoch first tried to poison Addie, but she was young and strong and soon recovered her good health.

When Addie started to recover from her "mysterious illness," Enoch sneaked into her bedroom and shot her dead while she lay sleeping.

In The History of Lake Mills (written by Mary Wilson in 1983), the author says, "A number of persons who knew Mr. Fargo will tell the same story - he shot Addie."

Enoch had three daughters by his first wife, Mary Rutherford Fargo. The eldest daughter was named Elsie Fargo (McCammon). Elsie McCammon's daughter was Mary Wilson, who authored The History of Lake Mills. In this book, it's Enoch's own granddaughter describing how Grandpa killed his second wife, Addie Hoyt Fargo.

I first learned about Aunt Addie when I discovered an old photo album in my late father's things. Amongst the many professionally done photos was one fairly primitive photo with a lesser grade photographic paper. This one photo was the picture of Addie (shown below) with a swollen lip, swollen face and what appears to be a darkened eye.

But when I showed them to a friend, she noticed that Addie's hairline had receded dramatically since the wedding photo (1896). Plus it looks like Addie's eyebrows are gone. These are both classic signs of arsenic poisoning.

It was reported that Addie was sick with a "mysterious illness" for weeks before she died. And her death was a mystery because she had been ill - but then made a full recovery. Her good health returned 100%.

Below are many photos. The first photo was the last known picture of Aunt Addie, zoomed in and magnified. You can see from this photo that her lower lip is swollen, and there's a lot of puffiness under Addie's right eye.

This shows a close-up of her lips. Something has happened to her nose/philcrum (indent below nose and above lip). Everything is out of whack. In her wedding photo, her lips show almost perfect symmetry and they're very thin. In this photo, they're distorted and her right side is much larger than the left.

Comparison of the wedding photo and the later photo (taken shortly before she died). It's hard to believe these photos were taken five years apart.

This photo shows a comparison of her hairline, which has receded dramatically. It also shows how - in the wedding photo - her hairline was neat and tidy. In the "before death" photo, it's got a jagged edge and no longer follows a clean line. Hair loss was a classic sign of arsenic poisoning.

According to all reports, he killed her with a bullet to the brain around 10 pm and had her in the ground by dawn the next morning. This newspaper account from late June 1901 is consistent with that report.

The doctor who falsified the death certificate (listing her death of diphtheria), recanted on his deathbed and said he'd falsified it under great pressure from Enoch.

Quite a story, isn't it? They say Addie haunts the Fargo Mansion (now a B&B). I'm going up there soon to visit Addie and see what more I can learn.

Please tell me what you see when you look at Addie's eyes? And tell me what you see when you look in her face.

Here is a link that might be useful: More details

Comments (18)