SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Book of the Week

stacey_mb
10 years ago

Chocolate Chocolate : the true story of two sisters, tons of treats, and the little chocolate shop that could / Frances Park and Ginger Park.

A couple of months after I read this book, my DH and I arranged to visit Washington, D.C. mostly so that I could fulfill a major item on my bucket list, that of a visit to the Library of Congress. Then by a spooky coincidence, our travel agent booked us into a hotel that was right across the street from Chocolate Chocolate. I hadn't even been thinking of visiting the store at the time, and I was thrilled that I would have a chance to see it. We went to the shop twice and although we didn't get to meet the owners, we loved the chocolates!

This is the review from American Library Association's Booklist: "Forget the economy, the disaster in Japan, the Middle East revolutions, even the oil crisis. Read this story of the American dream coming true. Long enamored of chocolate in all its iterations, Washington, D.C.'s Frances and Ginger Park, of Korean heritage, schemed and planned and opened a shop devoted to all things truffled and cocoa-ed. Their account resembles a novel, with characters so real and funny that you should expect laughing out loud from almost every page. Sympathize with the sisters as they deal with corrupt contractors and the Evil Empire (aka real estate developers and owners). Giggle as they name literally every frequent customer, from Mr. X and Dr. Zhivago to Kahlua Lady and Gypsy Bess. Cheer when they conquer New York's Fancy Food Show, Mom's heart condition, and the loss of their original lease. Stranger encounters turn into business deals (e.g., realizing writing careers as novelists and children's book authors) and even marriage and a son, Justin, for Ginger. Authentic, this breezily-written autobiography begs to become your next sweet read."

Comment (1)