SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Ready for the Wedding

donna_loomis
11 years ago

Tonight is the rehearsal dinner for my son and his bride-to-be (wedding tomorrow). His bride asked if I would make the groom's cake to be served at the rehearsal dinner instead of the wedding. She asked that it be baseball themed.

I spent nearly all day yesterday peparing it, and still there will be some last minutes touch-ups before the dinner, which is 2 and a half hours from our house. I hope everything gets there in one piece. I made a 22 inch long bat using my son's childhood favorite cake recipe (poppy seed torte). I have the most adorable toppers to put on the bat - the groom pitching to the bride.

I also made a German Chocolate cake in the shape of a baseball and frosted it accordingly.

My son proposed to Briana at Cloudgate Park in Chicago, near the "bean", so my daughter made a batch of Rice Krispies treats and formed the whole shebang into a huge bean. I found edible silver paint at Michael's and we spray-painted it.

All three cakes will sit on one cake board with the bat running diagonally and the bean and ball on opposite corners. I am by no means a professional cake decorator and see many flaws in my work, but I know that the cakes will taste great. And Briana knows I'm strictly amateur. The request was more for a surprise for Aaron.

I have a beautiful pant-suit for the wedding, thanks to a most generous KT member. I spent most of the morning putting the finishing touches on the alterations needed and ironing everybody's outfits.

I was on my feet in the kitchen yesterday for about 12 hours and my feet and back know it. I plan on playing Scrabble on my Kindle on the 2+ hour drive to the rehearsal dinner to unwind.

Tomorrow we have to leave at 8:30 a.m. for the wedding, which is at 11:00. I know I'll be wore out from all this hubbub, but of course it will all be worth it. Aaron always knew he wanted a wife and family, but he took a long time deciding on his partner (he'll be 36 in August), so you know she must be very special.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!