SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Did your kitchen installer plumb in a temporary sink for you?

sue_ct
16 years ago

Today I found out there was going to be another delay (long story) in completing my kitchen, at least until next Wednesday, when the cabinet rep can come out to look a problem with the cabinets finish. My installer made the apt with the rep about 2 weeks ago for today, but then forgot about the apt and missed it and had to reschedule. He was working on a kitchen an hours drive away and the rep could not wait for him to come back. Nothing more can be done until we find out what the problem is with the finish and what needs to be done. The cabinets started to go in about a week before Thanksgiving. I have been without a sink or running water in the kitchen since before that (I did my own demo of the old kitchen). I got upset today that he had forgotten and asked that he at least come put a temporary sink in. He agreed but seemed to feel this was unnecessary since I have running water in the bathroom sink. Three other people I talked to while looking for a countertop, who all install kitchens, were all surprised that the person I was using had not done that and said they always do it as a courtesy to the customer, even if they don't expect it to be that long before the kitchen is finished, just in case delays come up. Was I being unreasonable? Do only installers of "high end" or custom kitchens do this? Am I being unreasonable to ask this? One of the people who told me this was the GC that did the work to open the wall between my kitchen and living room, although he is not involved in the kitchen cabinets. He does do kitchens, although he does a lot of other things as well. He came back to finish the wall work and this came up in conversation. He does good quality (medallion cabinets) but not high end custom work, since he said he has only once ever had a kitchen he installs go over 20,000.00 for a budget. Yet he always does a temporary sink. Did I just speak to 3 of the minority of kitchen installers that do this?

I just wondered what the average kitchen installer's practice was related to this.

Sue

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County