SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
formerlymotherof3sons

Justifying the Expense of the Backsplash

motherof3sons
11 years ago

First, please let me say thank you to everyone that followed and posted on my backsplash threads (Cabinetmaker gone...Parts I and II). This journey will soon be over - I hope.

The purpose of this thread is to justify the cost of the backsplash. Each of you that remodeled, redecorated or built a new home know what I am talking about. Cabinets are expensive, counters are expensive, flooring is expensive - it all adds up. So, why is it that the backsplash is an area that is "cheaped out?" Please do not misunderstand this statement. I did not agonize over the cost of the cabinets, appliances, or counters as I am this dang backsplash! The energy and time I expended on the backsplash is more than spent on counters, flooring, etc. However, the cost of the backsplash is much less than any of those mentioned. And, let's not forget the small fortune spent on cabinetry hardware.

The wonderful owner of the granite and tile shop dropped the price by 30% because 1) I have a lifetime discount for purchasing counters and 2) I kept after him for a greater discount. He is bound by the distributors with 'X' for a profit margin. When I closed out our last telephone call, he said, "I am going to work these numbers backwards with the distributor. This is your price out the door."

In closing, I am making the phone call to order the backsplash tile. No Christmas at our house this year. :-)

Comments (6)