SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

A novice's foray into marble restoration... a pictorial

remodelfla
12 years ago

A very recent thread led to an old thread on marble poultices led me to think about the craigslist steal on marble I grabbed for whenever I can afford to do my master bath. Like my kitchen; this bath remodel will be a conglomeration of pieces Ive gotten from everywhere over about 3 years by the time we get to it. Anyway, I figured I'll give it a shot... I've got nothing to lose. First of all, it's just stuff; and this stuff only set me back $40. So here it goes:

Dirty from being stored in the sellers garage on the floor for who knows how long:

First I tried scrubbing with Dawn, soft scrub foam with bleach and a tile brush. Better, but still stained. Take note of the bottom left swirly part. You'll know why later

I took a guess that it's rust stains from the very hard So. Florida water. The boxes were wet and moldy smelling. So rust made sense to me. Off I run to HD for supplies in accordance to the thread recommendations:

Mix outside in old Chinese soup container:

Apply:

Cover with plastic wrap. I put another piece of the marble next to it for comparison:

Now wait and see. I figure tomorrow morning should be dried up some. But you're dying to peek... aren't you?! Even though it's only been a little over a half hour. Well... heck... I am. Patience has never ever been my virtue:

Tune in tomorrow for the final reveal. I think it does look better. Or is it wishful thinking?!

Comments (25)

• User
    12 years ago

you are SUCH a tease ! Yep a New Year Eve's reveal. And it DOES look better. You have such a gift for treasures...c

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kaismom
    12 years ago

The detail on those marble pieces are stunning. What a treat to find something like that!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well... if it works; I"ve got about 40 sq.ft. of this stuff I'll need to treat. I can't wait to see how it is in the morning. From what I've read; I may need more then one treatment. I"ll post a pic of whatever it looks like in the morning.

• shappy
    12 years ago

"Off I run to HD for supplies in accordance to the thread recommendations: "

Would you mind telling what those are? I have a marble floor in a bathroom that needs some work!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

shappy... for rust I used what's in the pic: DE for a pool filter, rust out stuff and that's it. Mix, apply, and cover.
    Different types of stains require different poultices. See the below thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: mnhockeymom's marble poultice advice

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

I love this and can't wait to see!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

is it tomorrow yet?

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

A couple of thoughts: Over on the Laundry Forum we get questions about removing rust stains from fabric fairly often.

The answer there is: Do not use chlorine (sodium hypoclorite) bleach as it will set the rust permanently. This is for true rust from the oxidization of iron.

So when you have an unknown, or mixed stain, it's better to try rust removers, first; then after they've done all they can, then move on to chlorine bleach products to clean up other brown-looking stains which may not be rust.

Chlorox-Two and other fabric safe-type bleaches use either sodium percarbonate (Oxy-clean and its clones) or bleaches made from hydrogen peroxide. These will lighten certain kinds of organic stains, so it's worth trying them, too.

A strong solution of hydrogen peroxide can be purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply intended for bleaching hair. I once soaked a a large service of antique Royal Doulton china in pure Sally's hydrogen peroxide for weeks. It removed almost all the (seemingly) intractable stains. Afterward I warmed the pieces in a 200F oven for an hour. It was amazing the amount of gunk that came out of the fine crazings in the china. When I was done the dishes looked fantastic and were none the worse for the wear. You could try this on a small scrap and see what you get. As a practical matter I had the dishes in a closed Rubbermaid box. To fill up the odd spaces (and save on amount of hydrogen peroxide) I added a gallon or so of those glass marbles used in flower arranging. That way everything stayed submerged and the pieces were stabilized in the bath.

HTH,

L.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the info L. If this doesn't work, then I'll be off to Sallys for hydrogen peroxide

• BalTra
    12 years ago

Inspiration!
    I'll be checking here first thing in the morning. I hope you are on EST

• fleur222
    12 years ago

Oooohhhh there is just something about marble! and the cuts in that one.....even with the stains...It is beautiful! Good luck! What an idea, to use a conglomeration of marble! I am going to store that idea in my brain!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Waiting with baited breath!!!!!!!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmmmm.... well, I think it may be a teeny bit better but not good enough for use. I'm going to try a couple more things and go get some hydrogen peroxide at the beauty supply store. Kinda disappointed but I'll keep you posted!

• User
    12 years ago

Hm...here is a very good article. I was thinking you could possibly just have it sanded to remove stains...

I am thinking that using it as is...outdoor shower area...very neat. c

Here is a link that might be useful: what not to do to marble

• User
    12 years ago

here is a much better article. Did you cover your paste with a damp cloth and then plastic ? Need to keep it damp...lots of other ideas here...

Here is a link that might be useful: cleaning marble

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks C! It does look better so I slapped on another "paste" and covered it. Also did the other piece of stone I took out. If it doesn't work I'll try the hydrogen peroxide. Great idea that if I can't get it clean, to use on the outdoor shower. So, all will not be lost. Worse case scenario, outdoor shower it will be!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

If the original recipe called for real diatomaceous earth as the poultice body, well, that's not it, it's the "substitute". But other than that, looks great. Oxalic acid to the rescue once again.
    Casey

• User
    12 years ago

Make sure you have a wet cloth over the paste before you seal with plastic wrap. Also they say to leave for 24-48 then remove the wet stuff and let it dry out for 24 and then brush off...so make sure and do this.

Also the peroxide should be on soaked tissues and cover with plastic to keep wet. It is important to keep the poultice wet I think. Good Luck ! c

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to try the peroxide thing with two different tiles and see which works better.
    Casey... I believe any kind of "whiteing" material is acceptable. I think it just needs something pure white that is absorbent.
    The waiting part is killer, but I'll force myself. I won't take it off till after school on Monday. UGH...back to school

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

I know it is not flawless white, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It is so very old world!

Reminds me of the pics I posted some time back of Gaudi's Kitchen in Spain.

I think if you get the details just right, as you always do, this could look great.

Here is a link that might be useful: gaudi's kitchen pics marble galorious!

• User
    12 years ago

Just be aware that any of the rust remover chemicals are basically acid. Acid and marble will create etching. Massive etching. And if you are not careful and leave it in prolonged contact with the acid, it will create HOLES where the acid dissolves the marble.

Peroxide is MUCH safer and gentler to use!

• chris11895
    12 years ago

Remodelfla,
    This is not the same, but a little similar, so I figured I'd post this pic I found as some inspiration for what a floor of your tile could look like. Good Luck and I can't wait to see the finished results!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

The DE will create a paste that can be troweled on evenly so the cleaning reaction is the same depth and duration across the stained are. I think that's the rationale behind poultices.
    Casey

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is far more beautiful, albeit curly, then my tile chris. Actually, using it as a floor is another good option I hadn't thought of... thanks for that!

So, I did mention that I'm not a patient girl. And those who have been on the forum a long time may remember my mentioning that I drive DH a bit crazy sometimes because I dive into things head first while he's a careful planner. I can tell you that 40 volume peroxide can take the white right off this white girls hands.

Now, in my stupidity... I mean defense; I did find one glove. I was only using one hand. UNTIL it came time to pat down the plastic wrap and I got impatient and wanted to really pat it down good.

Hence, my total banishment from all DH's power tools. I've been told I will never ever ever be allowed to use them. Not even with him there. Can't imagine why...