SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auburnfan_gw

Crack/fissure in granite - closing Friday

auburnfan
16 years ago

Hi. I'm closing on my new house in just 2 days, and today I noticed something on the granite. It's been in for a couple of months, but it has always been covered in sheetrock dust, boxes, tools, etc. so I haven't been able to thoroughly inspect it. Today, I finally just cleaned it myself so that I could check it.

The granite is New Venetian Gold and looks great. However, there is about a 6 - 8 inch long line that you can't see, but feels like a crack when you run your hand along it. I've had granite before and I don't remember having any spots like this. It's not in a prominent place, but along a counter where the phone, etc. is, so it won't get tons of wear. It's near the back and runs sort of parallel to the wall (but not in a straight line, obviously). It is not near a seam.

I did another search and found a post explaining the difference between a fissure and a crack. Since I can feel it, does that mean it is definitely a crack? If so, what does that mean? If it just means I can feel it like that forever, I don't really care. If it means my granite could crumble one day, then I do.

I can't tell you how I much I don't want to put this closing off again. That will cause all kinds of problems for me, but I also want to do what's right.

Please, someone tell me that I don't need new granite.

Comments (17)