SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosylady

Whatcha doin' with all that firepower?

rosylady
11 years ago

Another thread got me wondering: what's everybody up to with all their BTU's?

The trend is: more is better when it comes to heat in the kitchen. After struggling with a first generation Jenn air electric flat top for the last ten years and having to allot 45 minutes to heat pasta water, I understand the desire for heat. I bought a range with WAY more BTU's than I have ever had in a home setting (but it only has a wimpy 17,500 on it's hottest burner).

I haven't used it yet, but I have fantasies of seared steaks and browned instead of steamed mushrooms. I never wok cooked much because I couldn't, so I'm going to try that. Mostly, I am going to eat spur of the moment pasta dinners every night and gain ten pounds.

My friend just remodeled her kitchen and installed a Bluestar. We cook up a STORM on that thing! It's been hard to get used to all that heat while I'm cooking. It's one thing to sweat in a chef's uniform, but it does not look good when your makeup is sliding off your face and you've got sweat dripping down your back. I am constantly turning on the hood and opening the windows in her kitchen to cool off.

I positioned my range in my new kitchen between two sets of double french doors, just so I could cool off while cooking. My range has five burners and two convection ovens. I can't wait to get it fired up full throttle and see what happens!

So, how has increased BTU's changed your kitchen and your cooking?

Comments (14)