SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Question regarding cabinet finish (stained cabinets)

kellienoelle
12 years ago

I have a quick question regarding the ways is which custom cabinets are finished. We are working with a couple different local Custom Cabinetry folks, we are planning for dark stained cabinets, possibly a painted island. I have read a lot of different things about the type of finish, so don't know what is the most important

Option one:

Larger local cabinet maker, they will use birch, stain will be sprayed on then baked in oven, then installed. I have heard that this is the preferable way to finish cabinets, they are more durable. Another upside, they will finish the install and be done, so less disruption.

Option two:

Smaller local cabinet maker, they will use maple, they build and install, but have nothing to do with the finishing. But they do work with some other folks who will spray the stain on and finish in place in the kitchen. Of course the contractor that will be spearheading this says that this is preferable as the cabinets can potential be chipped and nicked during installation. So downside here is that it will take much longer to have them finished in our home. This guy came recommended by a friend who used them and has no complaints about the finish of her cabinets.

So, how important is the finishing technique? We'll delve into the construction details after I decide if the method of finishing should be a total deal breaker.

Comments (16)