SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecookie

Help with butcher block size

10 years ago

I am finally ready to purchase a new, free-standing butcher block. I just need to decide on the size before ordering. DH is not of much help on this; he thinks it will look huge and ugly no matter what size I get, but he is fine with it since I am going to place it in a somewhat hidden nook.

Below is the layout of my kitchen/dining area. The nook (top left in my layout) is next to the round dining table. The size options for the butcher block are (in inches): 24 x 36, 30 x 30, 30 x 36, 30 x 40, 30 x 60. There are smaller sizes available, but I want it to be large enough so I can make large batches of dumplings on it with DH. The thickness is 16" and the overall height is 34" for all of these; the manufacturer (Michigan Maple Block) only makes thinner ones for size 30 x 30 and under.

I want to get the biggest butcher block that can fit into the nook, so I am leaning towards 30 x 40, but DH thinks 24 x 36 is already plenty big. What size do you think would be the best for our situation? I attached a few pictures of the nook with my mock-up for a 24 x 36 butcher block (I didn't elevate it to 34"H; it shall be just as tall as the bottom trim of the windows). The manufacturer's picture is also attached.

Thank you very much!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 10:38

Comments (7)