SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Non-matching wall ovens: to stack or not to stack

kaysd
12 years ago

When buying appliances, I chose function (and sale prices) over form, but now I am a bit nervous about how my kitchen is going to look. I bought the 30" Gaggenau Combi-steam oven and the GE Monogram Advantium Pro 240V speed oven/microwave. My current design calls for the steam oven to be stacked over the Advantium with a 2-3" wood filler strip between them. The oven stack is at the far end of the kitchen wall that faces the dining room and living room, so it is a highly visible location. A 36" Wolf gas range is a little further down the same wall. It is probably the most convenient place to put the ovens since there is a counter landing space right next to the ovens.

Do you think the Gagg will look okay over the Advantium? They are both SS, but the Gagg has glass over the steel so it looks a bit different. The Gagg has straight squared off edges, while the Advantium has beveled sides. The handles are also different.

The only other option I can think of is to move one of the ovens over to the pantry and fridge wall. That wall is supposed to have a 42" wide x 8' tall pantry cabinet in between 30" wide Gagg fridge and freezer columns with SS panels. One of the wall ovens, probably the Gagg, could go in the middle of the pantry space. Since the oven is 18" high and 30" wide, 6" would be left on each side of the oven, which I would use as pullouts for bottles of vinegar, oils, maple syrup, sauces, etc. (One pullout would be full height for tall bottles and the other would have 2 shelves for shorter jars.) There would be a 22" high cabinet above the oven and a 50" cabinet below. Cons: I would lose prime height pantry space that I would have to make up elsewhere in the kitchen, and I really like the look of the tall wood pantry doors flanked by the SS columns. Pros: Both wall ovens could be at slightly more convenient heights if separated than if stacked and the most visible wall of the kitchen would probably look better.

Putting the microwave under the counter in the island is not a viable option for us, as we are tall, use the microwave a lot, would not like to lean over to use the microwave, and have a 3-year-old who likes to push buttons.

What would you do?

CADs of current plan (unfinished):

The ovens: picture the Advantium where the bottom Gagg oven is shown. (I wish I could photoshop together.)

The fridge and freezer columns, but with a tall pantry cabinet in between.

The cabinet style:

What I intended the inside of the pantry to look like:

traditional kitchen design by boston kitchen and bath Venegas and Company

Comments (8)