SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyvia_gw

move doorway? or let DH freeze plans ...

lyvia
13 years ago

I just thought of a tweak - we are still on paper, so it can't be that hard. First, the original plan, Second the other mods not shown, then last the new idea pros and cons.

Mods not shown in this drawing - the seat area is now more of a desk/counter against the bathroom wall, and the counter stops shorter. The fridge has moved forward to align with the front of the countertop, and there are cabs added where it says trash, alongside the fridge facing the bottom of the picture. Note there exists a door#2 that goes south from the kitchen, right across the corner from the pocket door. The door marked 3068 is an exterior door that sees little use. And the size/shape of the center non-island is not final.

South of the kitchen is a living room, which we use for quiet knitting, meditation and reading, and also for coffee with friends.

Past the powder room, across the foyer, is a bigger room that we use for dining - we leave the extra leaves in the table and the kid does homework there.

So the idea is to close the door bottom right (call it #1), and shift the #2 doorway left a foot. That allows the sink line of cabinets to extend to the bottom of the room. So we gain an extra forty or so inches of cabinet, conveniently close to the dishwasher (but lose a foot on the other wall). It opens the living room to the kitchen more, which is better for resale, although I'm not wild about it for noise reasons.

It would mean that the path from kitchen to dining room is maybe four feet longer, going through the other door. And we lose some sunlight in front of the bathroom door - no biggie.

What do you think? At what point do I stop trying to squeeze more cabinet space in here? Is this an improvement? Thanks for your input.

2 parents and a teen cook, 3 dogs, living here for past and next twenty years, traditional maybe victorian kitchen

Comments (7)