SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidro1_gw

when soft close drawers slide back in effortlessly

davidro1
12 years ago

Here is a tip for anyone who likes to optimize and get things "just right".

I installed one of my deep drawers such that its glides were slanted slightly, not completely flat. The slant is upwards in front by about 1/8th inch.

When this drawer is pulled out it stays out, so the slant I gave to the glides is not too much. Just right. So far so good.

I repeated the experiment with a second drawer. Same good result.

Now for the really good part. There are two advantages.

To make it slide back in, and go in all the way, I give it a little bump. Not more. This IS BECAUSE of the slant. Without the slant, a bigger bump would be needed. A bigger bump would make things move around more. The drawer holds a lot. It is heavy. I have many other deep drawers that hold a lot. Pushing them back in requires more push. They often stop moving before reaching their resting position, so they require another push. Thus, advantage #2 is that one push to get moving is all the drawer needs. Once the drawer begins rolling it can carry itself past the last minute hump that makes soft close be soft close.

Ah ha. I see a connection. The glides installed horizontal, not with a slant, need more push and don't always make it back to home. The glides that I slanted a bit are far more pleasing to me.

--

Lessons learned.

1./ a minor slant is good.

When glides are fully extended, the glides bend a little, in any case.

Therefore, compensating for that bend is a good thing.

2./ pushing my heaviest drawer requires the least work

(because its glides were installed with a minor slant.)

3./ once the drawer begins rolling back in, it keeps on going and reseats itself perfectly.

(because its glides were installed with a minor slant.)

Compare:

other deep drawers with heavy items halt before reaching the re-seat position.

Does the slant show up on the drawer front?

No, it is not visible in front.

Which drawer glides are these?

Blum Tandembox. (from Ikea and from Blum).

How much slant?

The slant in question is minor. YMMV. Don't overcopy any number here. Your glides may be different. Your loads too. Even your drawer glide length may be different. My heaviest drawer's glides were slanted somewhere in the range of 1/8th inch (+ or - a tad). When any full extension drawer is pulled out its span is increased 20 to 24 inches.

Nothing beats real life experimentation. Two years ago I posted to ask about this as a mind exercise and everyone (except one) posted negatives and treated their negative points as certainties.

Using a level, I can see that all my heavily loaded deep drawers slant downwards when pulled out. This confirms that metal bends a little. That's normal. A heavily laden wood drawer would bend a little too.

Conclusion:

If I had to do it all over again, I would slant the entire run of cabinets a 1/16th" back. Then the countertop could be installed with a bit more silicone under the back and a bit less under the front, to make the countertop slant by only 1/32th" or to be flat horizontal. (silicone can be used to level). Besides, a minor slant to the back is not a bad thing. From what I've seen of the shallow drawers, a minor slant would not hinder their proper functioning. They would stay out when pulled out.

Hth

One day I might remove the drawers to measure glide slant on the cabinet sides.

Comments (6)