SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drybean_gw

1950s Kitchen Design Element Help-MCM Lite?

drybean
11 years ago

Now that my layout is finalized, I can turn my attention to the design elements of the kitchen.

I had planned to go with the "OTK" design. But as I thought more and more about it, I'm not sure it's the right thing for my 1951 home. Plus, as lovely as they all are, I admit to a bit of white kitchen fatigue (this would be my third one of that vein).

I read with great interest the DAT thread for 1950s tract homes. I spent a lot of time staring at photos of more modern kitchens, and I've concluded that doing an interpretation of that would be better suited to our house. I'm not interested in recreating a retro renovation, but something that is a more contemporary interpretation.

The original cabinets were slab, maple I believe. There are some that now live in the garage, so I'm happy to have that knowledge. The kitchen was remodeled in 1982 and has an early 80s aesthetic now.

I am thinking of doing grey slab cabinets for the island, white for the perimeter. The island and range wall will have white quartz. The laundry and niche on the right will have walnut counters. I'm not sure if I'm going to do glossy cabinets from Ikea, or have custom painted ones.

I also have not ruled out walnut, but it just depends on where the price comes in.

My (long winded) question is, do these design elements work together? I will likely do finger pulls on all cabinets, as I prefer the look of less ornementation.

I'm not sure what type of flooring would be best. I realize marmoleum would be period appropriate, but after reading about RHome's experience, I don't think it is for us. Rest of house has original HW, and I want something different.

What about the pantry doors? I have two storage closets, what type of dooring is appropriate?

What type of tile would be suitable for backsplash? I don't want color, and I kind of dislike glass.

Idea Board: \

Design:

This is NOT the fireplace that is in the kitchen, but the original one in the living room. So you can get an idea of what the house is like. Very simple moldings.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022