SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rlkamp

Relocating a Kitchen?

rlkamp
14 years ago

Hi,

I've been amazed by what I've seen on this site. Wow!!!! I wish I would have known about this when I built my first house. I'm new to Gardenweb and I'm hoping that you knowledgeable people could give me some ideas and pointers. We moved into our house about 3 years ago and our house is about 103 years old and the layout is just not working for us. We recently decided to have our kitchen renovated and hired an architect, he came to meet with us a few days ago and I was blown away by his suggestion.

Our kitchen is currently in the back of the house and I was thinking that we would expand it on to the porch and take the wall down between it and the dining room which we never use to create an eating area. He stood in our kitchen and said that our kitchen was in the wrong place, that it should be where the dining room is and vice versa. I was floored!!!! I am new to this but I am trying to include a link to a floor plan that I have created that shows our current layout and also some pics from flickr

http://www.floorplanner.com/projects/19107414-my-first-project/z6jtcx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45925195@N07/?s

Hope both of these links work.

Anyway, I can't quite see it. Does anyone have any thoughts. He is suggesting that we make the hallway wider so that you see the dining area from the front door, relocate the stacker laundry to the current pantry and bump it out to accommodate it and possibly expand in the future. Plus add an island where the wall was between the dining and kitchen.

My main problems are

1) I can't figure out what you do with the nook in the dining room where to computer is now

2) Not sure what you can do if there is a fireplace behind the built

3) I want to make sure I still have closet space

4)I'm not sure what the entry way will look like really open like that. Will it work or just be a strange empty space.

5) Last, do kitchens really work without natural light, I really don't want to look into their garage while I do the dishes.

Any suggestions that you have with regard to layout or advise would be really appreciated.

Comments (14)