SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wawcooks

Countertop, Range, Sink - Too many decisions needed at once!

wawCooks
11 years ago

I have been reading posts on this site for several days and blown away by the knowledge and helpfulness shared here -- you guys are great! Til now I have held off on posting because my questions were TOOOOOO many and cascade into each other so I tried to search as much as I could on my own. I have come up with lots of helpful direction but still need more so I am jumping in and posting for whoever may have time to share insight and take on these challenging questions this holiday weekend.

I recognize that many of you have debated your decisions carefully for a while (our preference FOR SURE!) but we are coming by our remodel by accident so all our decisions need to be made very quickly. We recently bought our home knowing we were installing a brand new bathroom upstairs but thinking that (in addition to installing the bathroom, painting each room, some electrical work, etc) the only thing we were doing to the kitchen was to replace the counter/backsplash in the kitchen (pink corian in both backsplash and counter...can't stand!). Our daughter is 3 years old so don't want to live through kitchen work AFTER we move in but living outside of the house results in incurring additional rent+mortgage so we want to limit the time before we move in.

DRAMA! Have you read the children's book "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie"? Contractor (rightly, I think) suggested that if we replace the counters with a material that is going to last, it will outlast the cabinets (we think the cabinet boxes are original to the 1926 tudor...the cabinet fronts are in nice shape and were probably put in in the last 10 years. Off-white shaker style). As you cannot replace the cabinets down the road without tearing out the countertops, there would go the investment we are making now. So, he suggested we replace the bottom cabinets as well. That would also allow us to put some fancy cabinet insides in like the "kitchen aid shelf" I have drooled over for years. We came to terms with that idea but...here are some tricky challenges/details:

-Kitchen is not large (not small by my standards but narrow...no room for island).
-Floor is greenish/black ceramic tile that has a slate like look (12"x12"). When we bought the house the kitchen floor was one of the things I liked most in that room. Now looking at it more closely and recognizing it needs to be accounted for in selecting counter etc...I see it is ODD! Looks almost black in sunlight if I recall (it is winter in Seattle/VERY limited sun and the electricity is currently off in the kitchen due to work on the bath upstairs). Although dark, it has sections of dark greeny/brown swirly/veiny pattern going through it.
-Contractor noted that our range is a 40" KitchenAid freestanding (a 30" micro above it that is illegally/dangerously close to range top (within 15"!!!!) and needs to be replaced and...if we keep range, install a range hood up higher). As it is rare to find a 40" range, if we ever want to replace it down the road, we will have very reduced options. Therefore he has suggested we decide on a new range now as we are having new cabinets built that will flank it. DOMINOS!

Range and MW:
Searched online for hours and wasn't liking our options (range Countertop discussion:
We like Cambria (like what I heard here about Soapstone too but since we are in Seattle think it is much pricier than Cambria?). Think we'd prefer a medium or dark counter since we are sticking with white cabinets (spraying the top to match the new bottom and will pick a white that will go with white appliances IF we do continue on that path) -- backsplash not being chosen til other decisions made (maybe glass?). None of the cabinets have glass front now and to make the old ones glass front is pricey since the insides of the cabinets are rough old wood dull (looks like ply) -- will do without glass front.

Countertop Color: DH and I like green and Cambria has some pretty greens but they are medium contrast and I thought we should have a quieter (lower contrast) counter since the floor is not "silent" and has variability of colors. Oxwich Green, Kensington, and Caerphilly Green are three greens that look interesting but we need to go back to the showroom to see them in bigger format. Also thinking Cambrian black may be a simple solution (but is it too black????). The other option would be in the grey family ("Devon"). I had thought I wouldn't enjoy working on a grey counter (too much like hotel or office which I spend TOOO MUCH TIME IN) but now think it is a better option than others given the oddities of the floor?

Sink: With a Cambria counter, what options do we have besides stainless -- stainless shows water spots, is noisy, I want to avoid stainless in the kitchen as much as I can, etc.

Regards, Cheryl

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz