SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adh673

My progress- week 9 (week 1 of cabinets)

adh673
13 years ago

Here is an update on our progress- we are week 9 since demo and the cabinets are going in. Ours is a first floor remodel which we keep adding things to so the timeline is blown, but we have a second kitchen and living space so we arent ready too stressed about it.

So far...major hits have been:

-LOVE our contractor and his crew. If you are in Northern VA, I highly recommend them.

{{gwi:1984131}}

-Love our floors- which you cannot see as they are covered up and the one shot with some exposed is not that good. If you are looking for walnut wide plank, I did extensive research and I really think I got an amazing deal. Happy to share source.

{{gwi:1984132}}

-Love Ben Moore paint. Wasn't sure if it was a rip off but I love the colors and depth.

- Love that I upgraded moldings and changed doors to arches.

-We are very happy with the cabinets, Shiloh beaded inset. Our carpenter might be slightly less happy as there was some things he had to do that he usually doesn't! Speaking of this carpenter, I cannot say enough about him- again if you are in Northern VA, this is someone to seek out. Here is his first time doing a farm sink. Pretty tight! Overall his work is art. Plus he is very good natured about me printing stuff off the internet telling him how to do his job.

{{gwi:1984133}}

{{gwi:1984134}}

{{gwi:1984135}}

{{gwi:1984136}}

{{gwi:1984137}}

{{gwi:1984138}}

{{gwi:1984139}}

Some of my "misses"

- My tapmaster is not a great fit for under my furniture toe which I never even thought about. I had them move it to the prep sink but its still a little tight.

-This weirdo corner cabinet is not as spec'ed. It was supposed to open from the right on a hinged door and also reveal a cookie tray cabinet next to lazy susan. Instead there are random shelves and a middle open. The kitchen design firm is saying- yeah that was a mistake, they cant make it like you were told. But we sort of hate it this way so are considering trying to get the carpenter to fix it somehow. What does everything think is the kitchen firms responsibility here?

{{gwi:1984140}}

-Giant legs in front of spice roll outs. Not a good idea. Those things are HEAVY and they slightly drag on the floor. The guys are going to put a wheel behind it and some felt underneath it but this leg is really too big for a moving cabinet. Quite annoying as i really need those.

- Attempting to stay in the house (different floor) after Waterlox was applied. I was up all night checking everyones breathing until we could flee at first light. Horrible idea. I couldnt believe how potent that was. Dumb. And we have one more coat to go! Waterlox is painful, but beautiful!

Thats pretty much it for now. Big debates on pendant lights, hardware, etc. going on currently but overall we are happy with the progress. Its a big change from our 80's cookie cutters suburb house!

Comments (14)