SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
carolbarrel07

Black Appliance/What Color Cabinets?

carolbarrel07
14 years ago

So here's the scenario: I ended up buying a 25 cu ft frig...black french doors with bottom freezer, on sale. The floor tiles are an Italian porcelin in kind of a terracotta color with dark (blackish/brown) mottling. That will match the frig pretty well, I think. Now...I'm having an island built and will be tiling the top myself with 4" Mexican talavera tiles of a rich chocolate brown. The island cabinet will be 3/4" birch plywood and given to me unstained, so...should I stain it or paint it? My cabinets, also birch plywood, I've started to prime with the goal of painting them. But what color? I'm thinking of getting a stainless look dishwasher with black control panel to put into the island, and it will be exposed, not hidden behind cabinet doors. I'm also thinking of buying a stainless cookstove with oven that would also have a black control knob panel atop it. That would bring the black frig into allignment with the other appliances. But with all the black and stainless, I should go with bright cabinets, right? Should I do something bold like red, or a terra cotta or copper-ish red? Or should I stick with white, maybe a softer antique white? (What's in style?) Oh...the sink in the island is going to be a large hammered copper sink from Mexico...very pretty...but will it clash with the stainless dishwasher and cookstove? Maybe all my appliances should be black...but then again how to get some light reflected into the kitchen (I only have two windows that are about 33 1/2 x 41) Any ideas out there? This newbie on a budget needs help!

Thanks so much!

Carol

Comments (22)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler