SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbarrel07

Black Appliance/What Color Cabinets?

carolbarrel07
16 years ago

So here's the scenario: I ended up buying a 25 cu ft frig...black french doors with bottom freezer, on sale. The floor tiles are an Italian porcelin in kind of a terracotta color with dark (blackish/brown) mottling. That will match the frig pretty well, I think. Now...I'm having an island built and will be tiling the top myself with 4" Mexican talavera tiles of a rich chocolate brown. The island cabinet will be 3/4" birch plywood and given to me unstained, so...should I stain it or paint it? My cabinets, also birch plywood, I've started to prime with the goal of painting them. But what color? I'm thinking of getting a stainless look dishwasher with black control panel to put into the island, and it will be exposed, not hidden behind cabinet doors. I'm also thinking of buying a stainless cookstove with oven that would also have a black control knob panel atop it. That would bring the black frig into allignment with the other appliances. But with all the black and stainless, I should go with bright cabinets, right? Should I do something bold like red, or a terra cotta or copper-ish red? Or should I stick with white, maybe a softer antique white? (What's in style?) Oh...the sink in the island is going to be a large hammered copper sink from Mexico...very pretty...but will it clash with the stainless dishwasher and cookstove? Maybe all my appliances should be black...but then again how to get some light reflected into the kitchen (I only have two windows that are about 33 1/2 x 41) Any ideas out there? This newbie on a budget needs help!

Thanks so much!

Carol

Comments (22)

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Whenever I have questions about design and color (or questions about lights, tile, backsplashes, or anything else for that matter!) I head to the Finished Kitchen Blog, started by our very own Starpooh. It has so many kitchens and combinations of options that I almost alway get some answers. There is a slide show, with a little pic of all the kitchens there, or you can just go through them one at a time.

But what I would do if I were you, is look through them quickly and just jot down the ones you love the most. Then go back and analyze what appeals to you about them. Often the color scheme that you love the most will be obvious, but if it isn't, there will be plenty of options to ponder.

And maybe someone here can point you toward the Sweeby test. The short version is, "When I walk into my kitchen I want it to make me feel ___________", fill in the blank: Calm, happy, soothed, cozy, nostalgic, sleek, eg.

Finally, more lights will fix darker kitchens. So if you love darker colors, consider putting in more lights (under cabinets, overhead, etc).

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen Blog, aka FKB

• susan4664
    16 years ago

If you have a black fridge, I'd stick with all black appliances.

• Related Discussions

black or stainless appliances with medium cherry cabinets?

Q

Comments (10)
    We have medium dark mahogany cabinets which are very similar in color to cherry cabinets we have in the bathroom. We have light maple floors and dark gray/black counters. I really like having a mixture of stainless and black appliances. Our range is black with some stainless steel trim, the hood is ss, the dw and fridge are ss, the mw is black and ss (the black door is the dominant color) and just underneath we have a ss large toaster oven. The spattering of black in the appliances tie in with the counters (and the dark hardware and lighting fixtures) and the stainless helps lighten the room a little. Our appliances are spread out and I don't have a good picture showing them as a whole. Here's one that catches part of the range area and the dw.
    ...See More

Black appliances with cream cabinets?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have white white cabinets, stainless counters, and a black oven from preremodel and it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought. In fact it looks sort of spiffy. With cream cabinets and brown counters, you won't get that tuxedo look--it'll just look nice and warm and perfectly lovely. (I also still have the mis-sized black fridge from preremodel but it's got so much stuff stuck to it with magnets you'd never know it was black.)
    ...See More

Black walnut cabinets with black stainless appliances

Q

Comments (4)
    What finish are the pulls on your appliances? Also black? If so, a matte brass would be lovely. If the pulls are a different finish, match those.
    ...See More

Black stainless kitchen cabinet handles to match appliances

Q

Comments (4)
    I understand that the black stainless is NOT a good thing. It's over, short but over. You will date your kitchen immediately from what I've read. Regular stainless is timeless.
    ...See More
  • fauxnecian
    16 years ago

I have white cabs, all black appliances, stainless sink & terra cotta floors (saltillo tile).

What about green cabs? Maybe a wash of colro at not a solid? Or blue?

• carolbarrel07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, and thanks for that link to various folks' kitchens. I actually was at one time thinking of green cabinets, something between a leafy green and an olive color (like the green on croton leaves, if you know that particular tropical plant). fauxnician, do you have a photo of your kitchen you can link me to? Are your white cabinets bright white or a creamy white? Oh btw, what is colro...I'm clueless!

I like the colors of nature and want to bring nature indoors as much as possible. I love Mexicolor and talavera tiles but I'm staying away from blue this time. The kitchen Island I'm tiling will be two-tiered and the predominant color will be the Mexican chocolate 4x4 talavera...but randomly I have some accent tiles I'll put on the bar (highest tier) top, and those tiles have pictures/scenes that have green, yellow, and terra cotta color.

I'll definitely stick with all black appliances at this point, because two of you are suggesting it (I had a hunch that maybe I shouldn't incorporate stainless appliances or stainless-look since I have the hammered copper sink that will be a big focal point of the two-tiered island).

Here's another question...if I do my cabinets white is it best to paint my island's vertical surfaces that same white? Or can I mix it up and go with brown paint or even stain it, because I'll have that chocolate brown talavera on the island, on both tiers of the countertop/horizontal work and bar surfaces?

Thanks...I'm not feeling that creative these days because I'm having to use the half of my brain that's serving as general contractor for a major house rehab. I wish I could just play "decorator" but it's been way more than that!

Carol

• Fori
    16 years ago

Don't worry about a little stainless--that'll really limit your choice sin ranges if you rule out all SS. A little won't stick out as it's neutral, but I agree it oughtn't be a big part of the color scheme.

You can absolutely do your island a different color/stain than the other cabinets. That might be a good place for the green if you go with white elsewhere.

To get some light reflecting going on, maybe a copper backsplash or hood vent? Or MIRRORED. (Mirrors on the backsplash or elsewhere can be fun because once you get your creative energy back, you can paint stuff on them to go with the theme of the room, and scrape it off if you mess up. Also look for fake windows made of mirrors if you have a place to hang one.) And yes, proper lighting will make any room bright. As will your colors.

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Fori, I think Sin Ranges might be the next rage in Kitchen Design circles. And Choice at that! :)

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

Or even Sin Ranges with a Wash of Colro! That might be the next big thing... :-)

• Fori
    16 years ago

Hey, I know I can't type! Don't rub it in!

Anyway, I AM planning on a sin range but am still trying to figure out what colro to wash it in to really accentuate the sin. But I'll post asking about that when I pick a cabinet color.

Isn't "black as sin" an expression? See? I'm totally appropriate!

• carolbarrel07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh carp...I thought "colro" was maybe a product line! I hope you didn't think I was making fun of your spelling. I appreciate each and every tip! I'm not sure what a color wash is...besides paint I don't know much about products. Is a color wash like a stain, a transparent color put over wood grain fronts of cabinets? Problem is I've already primed the birch fronts so I have to go with regular ol' paint. If I knew an easy way to "distress" wood (cause I have to repaint a wall of cabinets already there that I'm keeping), I'd do that in a distressed look with a leafy green. (We must have our daily allowance of leafy greens!)

I have another question about whites, but I'm going to be a real pest and start another thread!

P.S. And yes I'm gonna take a look at stainless cookstoves because I've not seen many in all black...the stove will be right alongside frig (no cabinets in between) so maybe SS with black top where controls go will match the all-black frig pretty good. I looked at the finished kitchens blog slideshow and hardly anyone used black appliances. And nobody but one brave soul uses talavera...that was my fave kitchen btw...I did my current kitchen in bolder talavera patterns (featuring blues and golds). You'll know how creative and color-bold I can be when you see this is my fave by far of all the kitchens I saw on the blog: http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/2005/06/arvajulis-kitchen.html

• Fori
    16 years ago

Hey I have pet carp! Love my goldfish...

I think a color wash is what you're thinking it is. I think if you are talented, you could use it as a sort of glaze, too. Distressing isn't too hard, even if it's intentional. you can whap it with a chain, pound in some little worm holes with a nail set, or just sand off edges here and there.

I'd love to use that style tile in my kitchen but it'd look silly in my house.

...or would it....?

• carolbarrel07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not talented.

Fishless...but can carp with the best of 'em.

Good with whips and chains.

Distressed...you betcha! Too much work, too many ideas, too little time, money pit sucking me dry. Oh, and it's getting cold outside now...and heat's not turned on! Brrrr....

Hey, let me know if you want some good sources of talavera, recommendations of books about it, etc. There are designs (and solids) that would work in most any kitchen. I'm addicted to the stuff!

• fauxnecian
    16 years ago

:-P No offense taken, my fingers get ahead of the brain when I type sometimes. Yes, I meant COLOR WASH! Like a colored stain of green or sumthin. I think doing the island a diff color than the cabs would be awesome!

I have pics indeed. I don't know why, but I always feel like I have to add this disclaimer. My kitchen reno is more of a 5k, not 50k+ job. I feel like I spent the money well, but it is not a show kitchen like most here.

Good shot of my floors (& 2 of 4 of my 4-legged babies).

Where I started!

What I got!

PS. I have fishies too, no whips or chains tho.

Do you have any pics of the kitchen or your product?

• fauxnecian
    16 years ago

Are you sorry you asked now? lol

I added this pic because it actaully shows the floors with the appliances & white cabs.

• Fori
    16 years ago

I'm going to copy that behind-the-range shelf, I do believe.

• fauxnecian
    16 years ago

Fori, I'd be flattered. :) It was bigger, then I was like OOPS, better have rrom to vent when cooking, so I had him cut it down. Not sure if it is "legal", but I like it. All was DIY, 'cept for the granite.

• carolbarrel07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Faux, I'm such a sucker for saltillo tile! Sure is pretty with your black and white. What color grout is that you used? Also did you get lucky and get a few animal paw prints in your tiles? :-)

What is the name of the white paint you used on your cabinets and who is manufacturer? How many coats did it take to cover all that dark brown cabinetry you had? Have you ever used or heard of Cabinet Coat by INSL-X? I have a friend in another state who's telling me that's the way to go to get brush-stroke free painted cabinets.

The house we're rehabbing to move to (downsizing!) is a modest foreclosure, approx 1200 sq ft that was totally neglected, with no appliances, no HVAC system, nada. It's a complete re-do...if I showed you a photo of our "kitchen" which is basically nonexistent at this point...it would be scrappy uneven plywood patched flooring, one bank of horrid original cabinets that look like they're from some Sam Raimi cabin-in-the-woods movie, and assorted debris laying on floor where we tore out the wall of the former galley kitchen. Sound fugly enough? Still wanna see? :-P

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Fauxnecian, FABULOUS!

Fori, my best friend tells me red is a prostitute color (she got this on good authority from her Mom, and she tells me this a lot because that's my favorite color-or colro, really), so it might be worth considering for your sin range. And really, the range of sin is boundless....

So, Carolbarrel, what were your next favorite kitchens in the blog?

• Fori
    16 years ago

An Evil Dead kitchen.

Sin is too mild!

• fauxnecian
    16 years ago

Carol - I love saltillo too! The DR formerly had off white carpet with a big pink kool-aid stain & the kitch was faux til looking linoleum. I guess I don't feel so bad though as your kitchen, or lack of seems to take the prize! Yikes! What are you getting into? :)

Oh yes, I have the doggie prints, put them right next to the french doors off the LR & I have chicken prints & what looks like a coke bottle. hee! Yeah, I have the whole 9 yards. One friend said she hid those under the fridge, I embraced them! Especially since we are animal folks. I used the plain old gray saltillo grout. It has darkened with age & wear, the flooring is about 4 years old now.

The paint "colro" is Stowe White by Glidden (Home Repo), they were done in about 2000/2001. I added 1/2 round molding to them too as they were flat panels. They were TSP'd, lightly sanded, one coat primer & a few of paint that was sprayed on. The bases I did myslef with a "weenie roller" the skinny pink hot dog roller. I have not heard of that product. There were no brushes involved tho since we actually had a gun, TG!

My home isn't much bigger than yours, just over 1500 & it's 30 years old. The only thing the PO left me was bad taste (think 1980) & a greasy counter where the micro once was.

I can't wait to see your finished product Carol. Living in the SW I have an interest in all of those beautiful materials you are using. :)

You all are killing me today. :) A red light district kitchen! Now that would be schweet! A red Sin range would be divine in there. Puts a new meaning of HO in HO'me remodel.

• carolbarrel07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Faux...I have to laugh at your HO'me remodel joke...but to tell ya the truth I found some fotos high atop a closet shelf with bootay shots. So, since I don't know who lived in my rehab house prior to us finding it via foreclosure auction, I'll refrain from "going there". ;-)

Think: gutted house, complete rebuild, and you'll see why I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around decorating. My GC half of brain is working overtime on this project juggling plumber, HVAC guy, lacksadaisical electrician, carpenters (one ended up in jail 5 days and delayed us during an important week). Next Monday is the big day when my island will be delivered, and today I'm ordering the dishwasher to go inside and still don't know if I'll go with black or white. (I may flip a coin when I get to the store...yes, I've been known to do that so I don't keep obsessing over decisions that can't be changed.)

Thanks for the laughs Faux...and everyone! Oh, and Faux...you have a happy birthday! Don't party *too* hard this weekend! :-D

• Fori
    16 years ago

Black OR white DW will look OK with your plans (all of your many plans). How's that for being unhelpful?

Check the post here somewhere on the Sears sale--I think it's a couple hours on the 11th but check out the time to be sure--looks to be a very good sale.

What about a DW skin from Frigo in hammered copper? That can be your backup if you get the wrong color (which I just said you couldn't get).

• carolbarrel07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fori...I have my eye on a Frigidaire Gallery Series 4 burner gas stove that's on clearance at the nearest Sears store. I ordered a black dishwasher that's being delivered today...and my island is being delivered...or else!

All of my many plans have been narrowed down. Thanks to all the photos on kitchen blog and the green thread and also someone in my 'hood giving me cans of paint that I could play with on old cabinets I'll be ditching, I've decided on green. Trying to narrow down the shade...I tried their SW Duron "Retreat" and it looks nice but just a tad on gray side, and I want more green. So today I'm buying a qt of SW Artichoke that I saw on this site's decorator forum's "Green" thread. This site has been such a help...I promise I will show before and after pics!

PS Thanks for the Frigo tip...I had never heard of them, bookmarked them...really nice stuff they have!