SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christymck

30" vs 36" range/cooktop and oven landing strip

ChristyMcK
10 years ago

My dilemma is that I have had a 36" six burner gas range before when we lived in a rental and the in the two years we lived there I never used more than four burners at one time. The range was a kenmore and the spacing of the burners made it so that you could not put the 10-12" pans next to one another but had to space them across the three rows of burners. My understanding is that BS and other high end ranges have the real estate to enable placement of 10 to 12" bottom pots/pans centrally on all four burners at the same time. So in this sense a 30" range would make sense for me.

However, I currently have a 40" 1956 electric range with double ovens, four burners and a space for a plug in griddle. The griddle space I use all the time as a landing strip for items coming out of the oven. If I get a 30" range I don't have this natural landing strip but it seems silly to have a 36" range and use 1/3 of it as a trivet.

An actual trivet as a landing strip is not that appealing. Anyone else face this dilemma? What was your preference/choice? Did you go with a 36" cooktop/range, get some sort of indestructible countertop or relegate yourself to trivets?

Comments (7)