SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

Please help! Are these well proportioned? Pictures

tetrazzini
15 years ago

Hi, I'm building cabinets for my kitchen, and have enclosed two different sketches of some upper cabinets. I couldn't figure out how to put the pictures side by side, so they're kind of hard to compare. The only difference between them is the height of the drawer. They are to-the-counter uppers, 30" wide and 13" deep. There will be two, and they flank the windows over the sink. All the doors are glass, with no muntins. What looks like muntins in the top picture is supposed to be shelves inside the cabinet.

My ceiling is 8'8" high, so I think I can get away with stacking them like this. I like the design overall, but I think the drawer height in the top picture (5" high) is too small. I redrew it to be 6" in the bottom sketch but, unfortunately, you can't see much difference in the drawings.

Looking at the top picture, do you think the cabinet is well-proportioned? I think the bottom of it should serve as a visual "foundation", and my concern is that the drawer seems a little narrow to me. Do you think making it an inch taller will provide more of a balance? Does the cabinet seem top heavy? Please be honest. Design is not my strong point, so any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm also posting a sketch of the whole wall in case that helps. On the right side there is an EL, with base cabinets along the adjoining wall. Sorry for the poor quality.

Thank you!

From House
From House
From kitchen east wall sketch

Comments (7)