SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillandmatt_gw

Sharing my experience with Waterlox Satin vrs. Original

jillandmatt
12 years ago

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience with Waterlox because I know there are several of you out there who are researching it to use on your wood top. To make a looooong story short-I ordered a DIY black walnut top for my kitchen island from Craft Art. My original plan was to finish it in mineral oil because I wanted it to look natural/no shine. When I realized the mineral oil finish would not work for me I decided to go with a mix of Waterlox satin and original. After much research here I learned that this would give the top a "soft glow" and not be too shiney. The directions were to start with about three coats of the original, followed by the mix for the last coat. The original went on with no problems, easy as can be. Then I applied the mix and when it dried there were obvious brush marks that did not look good. I sanded and reapplied two more times trying different types of applicators (natural bristle brush, paint pad and t-shirt). Each time I was unhappy with the finish because it had obvious brush/pad strokes and did not look smooth. I decided to try the original by itself once more, just to see if I could live with the shine. At first I did not like the shine at all, but now that I've lived with it a over a week, it has really grown on me. I had a big family party here the other night and everyone said it looks beautiful and to keep it the way it is. The shine really brings out the grain of the wood. The satin mix kind of dulled it. In the end I am happy with the shine of the original and will keep it for now. Who knows, I may get up the energy someday to try the satin mix again...The satin was beautiful but just sooo difficult to work with... In the end I am not disappointed in how it turned out. I am satisfied with the original and think it looks beautiful too, just in a different way. I am really enjoying looking at my wood top every day! It's sooo pretty!!! Hope my experience helps someone!

Jill

Cape Girl- if you happen to read this I'm glad we BOTH ended up loving the our wood tops! :)

Jill

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!