SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Soft Close to replace existing Trash Pull-out?

ladyamity
13 years ago

Hi again, it's meeee! *smile*

Three mishaps today is prompting this question.

Even before our kitchen redo, we had the rev-a-whatever-it's-called to pull out the trash/recycle from the cabinet next to the sink.

We just cleaned up the runners and door attachment parts and put it back on the new cabs because it really serves it's purpose...worth the bucks as far as I'm concerned.

A little history/why I just need One Soft Close:

Our Zayda (wonderful furbabe but dumb as a box of rocks. sorry! If we had a burgler, she'd greet them at the door holding a flashlight in her mouth) decided as a puppy that even though she never, ever chewed up a single thing around the home, her obsession became the trash can.

No matter what we piled on top, how we secured it, during the night she always found a way to get to it open......thus, enter the rev-a-whatever-thingys.

I didn't mind sacrificing a cabinet if it meant I didn't have to wake up in the morning to coffee grounds and trash strewn from one end of the house to the other (no way to block off the kitchen).

Well, 8 years later and that trash can is still her obsession.

How do I know this? Because my parents (elderly and becoming more and more forgetful), forget to close the cabinet door once they've thrown some trash or a can in the recycle container.

Last week it was three times. But just today, it was once this morning before I even had my coffee, again after my parents ate lunch......so around 1ish, and I've just sat down at the computer after cleaning up, yet again, the trash that was strewn everywhere.

I've no idea about the Soft-Close mechanisms, so I was hoping if I showed you a pic, you'd be able to tell me what type/size/weight load ? I should get?

Unless of course there is another option that would make sure the cabinet door closed all the way once they are done with it?

I watched both parents....they tend to give the trash cab door a slight push with their hand as they are walking away, never checking to see if it actually closed all the way.

Or Mom's favorite: use the top of her outer thigh to give it a push closed. But again, it never closes all the way.

Once it's closed all the way, Zayda can't seem to get it open but with a little space when left open, she uses her nose, paw or butt to get it open the rest of the way.

Anything I should know about these soft-close or any other option available?

Our last kitchen had one perfect-sized cabinet to put the rev-runner things in.

This set of cabs didn't have anything like that so Mr. Amity removed the hinges from a larger cab, secured the doors together, added shelving inside for different sized trash liners and what we have is the perfect cab for our trash and recycled cans.

But being this is a double-door setup, would a soft-close still work on it?

Comment (1)