SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joesc230_gw

New Granite Counter - give up?

joesc230
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone with experience in granite counters can give me some advice.

I'm having a new home built and the company my builder hired to do our counters installed a "white fantasy" counter that has a very thin crack in it. It's a beautiful stone, but the crack is worrying me.

The crack is a few inches long, located at the top and underneath of the stone. I can feel it with my finger if I press down and run my finger along it. I don't mind the way it looks, but I'm worried about it getting worse over time.

I already showed the crack to the counter company 4 times and each time they were saying it's natural to the stone and that it's just a "fissure". I'm no expert, but from what I learned by searching online, I'm pretty sure if it's on the top and bottom it's a crack, not a fissure.

They finally sent someone to fix it today and it's less noticeable now, but I can still feel the crack. Is it acceptable to have a thin crack like this? I don't understand why they weren't able to just seal it so that you can't feel it. Is that something out of the ordinary to ask them to do?

I've attached a picture of it to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (16)