SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baltra_gw

Layout:Finally an organized presentation - Please help make it fa

BalTra
12 years ago

All,

I've been following the "Are Kitchens headed in this direction" discussion with fascination and outright fear. Design questions to follow!

I need to make my ultimate final layout decisions for my kitchen by THIS Sunday. Electrician comes on Monday and will rough everything in at that time and my layout will be pretty much set at that point.

I am thick-skinned and welcome your most stark assessments and suggestions!

Here's the skinny:

Small galley kitchen, interior 1940's row home in MidAtlantic. Southern windows facing backyard. Open to dining room with a peninsula dividing kitchen and dining space. Too many doors to kitchen (can not be changed).

One adult (but frequent long-term house guests). one child. 2 fabulous (but big) dogs. Many meals shared with other families. Lots of from scratch meals, not so much gourmet (just aspirational!) Not a lot of packaged or canned goods.

Appliances: 30" wide frig, 30" induction cooktop (Bosch), built in oven (frigidaire), dishwasher, microwave, toaster oven, water boiler for press pot coffee, oversized coffee grinder. Occasional: spice grinder, cuisinart, immersion blender. I do NOT yet have a hood/vent and don't know what the heck to do about one.

Obstacles: I took down the wall between kitchen and dining room, which eliminated one of the FOUR doors in/out of this little kitchen. One more door will be eliminated by recessing frig through it and building a box for that. I can't make any exterior changes due to bothersome homeowner's assn rules. Load-bearing wall will not be structurally altered.

Kitchen is a highly social, multi function space for us. We spend most of time there. Art projects, bill paying, visiting, etc etc.

Goal is to maximize the space. Dining space driving me nuts - I think my table is too big, but I have 6+ people to seat almost weekly.

Quandry: cooktop on peninsula, or share the counter run with the sink?

I originally wanted no upper cabs. I'm not a collector & don't have lots of kitchen gadgets to store. But still think I may need the uppers. No plan to move from my little home (proud of it and my neighborhood!) for 20+ years.

My inspriation kitchen is the "divine kitchen" on houzz. I'll post link. I love the look of Pacific NW kitchens, and CA style. (see The Joinery, Berkeley Mills, Henry Built). I'm a big big fan of the Not So Big House.

Kitchens here that make me drool:

Smarge, Celineike, ellaf, leela4. Farmgirlinky. Really -- I could stare at the photos of these kitchens forever.

I hope these drawings and information are sufficient.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to photos of my measurements and layouts

Comments (24)