SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

Ack! What hardware to put on these doors? (pics)

Cloud Swift
12 years ago

The cabinets for the family room end of our kitchen/family room area are being made - we hope they will be ready in a week or two. We approved the sample door this week and it suddenly occurred to me that we haven't thought about the door and drawer handles for them. It is odd because I've had a very specific vision of the wall, the fireplace, the cabinets, the new floor but never thought about that last detail - neither color nor shape. When we did the kitchen, we almost instantly knew what we wanted there. We love our kitchen hardware, but I'm just as certain that it wouldn't be the right look for these new cabinets.

The cabinets will be natural cherry. They are "furniture" - i.e. they won't be mounted to the walls (other than a minimal top attachment for earthquake safety on the tall units. Our style is transitional, simple lines. The doors are mitered-frame raised-panel with a simple profile and the drawer fronts will be slab.

Here is a picture of the sample door next to our shaker kitchen cabinets so you can see the hardware we used in the kitchen. Both are natural cherry - the sample door is in new cherry but the cabinets should darken to the same color as the kitchen ones.

The drawers are all 7" high, one is 40" wide and the rest are 20-24". The doors are all 20-24" wide and vary in height from 18" to 30".

Looking around a little bit, a lot of what I see doesn't seem right for this situation - too fussy, too kitcheny, too plain, too shiny, too dull etc. Please help me find something just right. Here are some from Lee Valley that kind of appeal to me at first glance:

A very simple arch in natural cherry finished to match the cabinets:

Or these which are kind of different (and wild compared to my usual very plain pull taste) in the dark bronze or satin nickle:

Comments (8)