SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madovermarble

Help With Flooring Choices!

MadoverMarble
12 years ago

My husband and I are renovating our house. I need to figure out the flooring for our kitchen. I have thought about this issue so many times that I am making things worse! I need new ideas, and FAST!

We live in a house build in the 1930. We are keeping a lot of the craftsman elements and enhancing those, where needed. We are trying to marry the old with the new. The modern, clean, hip lines with vintage stone and wood elements. We have refinished the floors to be a "coffee" color. We moved some walls around in the kitchen to reflect a more contemporary-open floor plan. As a result, there is no flooring in there. It is open to the dining room, and visible from most of the first floor as well. It has a small wet bar in the dining room that will match the kitchen elements (counter, tile, sink etc).

I want our house to feel like a chic boutique hotel. But I want to make sure it is warm and not sterile. The cabinets are espresso shaker style. We have a 36" professional series cooktop/grill with matching stainless hood, professional series subzero fridge, double oven and stainless dishwasher. The backsplash is 4x12 glass subway tile that will run along the wall with the cooktop but not along the wall with the sink. The 100 sq. ft of countertop are white Arabescato Danby marble with a double laminated, "block-like" effect.

I thought about mirroring the elongated tile (from the backsplash) on the flooring with white marble 10 x 18 tile but am worried that too much marble will look like a mausoleum! I don't think I want to carry the hardwood into the kitchen because it will be too much dark wood. I am stumped!

Please help me figure out what to use ASAP. The cabinets are in, the appliances are hooked-up, the counters are being fabricated and installed next Friday. I NEED YOUR HELP! Thanks in advance for the great advice!

Comments (3)