SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolml_gw

medium to dark brown wood choices

carolml
12 years ago

Hi,

I am finalizing my kitchen layout and starting to look at wood for the cabinets. I have had lots of help from this forum and would love some suggestions from those of you with more design savy than me. I would prefer a natural look to the wood but realize that I will probably have to stain something to achieve the right depth of colour. So far I have brought home walnut (too much contrasting grain) and cherry (too red).

I have already chosen my granite which is dramatic and fairly dark. The look I am trying for is "outdoorsy", where the granite draws ones eye outwards and makes the kitchen feel part of it. My kitchen has a wall of glass and looking out I see greys and blues of sky and sea and lots of greens from the large trees around us, the lawn and garden. The granite picks up the green tones and frames the paler colours nicely. Holding wood samples next to it, it is the medium to darker brown woods that look best. There is a strong chartreuse vein in the granite that does not go well next to yellow woods. Also, because the granite is quite dramatic, woods with a lot of grain tend to look busy. Finally, to put the whole thing in context, I have old red oak floors which we will refinish, and fir windows and fir trim.

Here is a picture of the granite to give you an idea. The picture shows more blue than reality though there are definitely blue and grey undertones.

Thanks!

Comments (17)