SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twahlert_gw

repainting kitchen cabinets

twahlert
10 years ago

My kitchen cabinets are painted white and like all oil based paints, have yellowed. I've taken on the task of repainting them but am a little lost on the procedure. I went to the local paint store and bought good quality primer and water based alkyd paint. Talking with the manager about the process, he suggested cleaning, sanding, cleaning then painting. I started to sand with my palm sander then tried my orbital and found i was having to spend a few minutes on each one. I'm using 150-180 sand paper. The original paint is not nearly as level as I thought. I know I'm supposed to dull the finish for the new paint to stick but I have to really sand (even exposing bare wood in areas) to get all the areas dull. I was told that the paint I bought could be put directly onto dulled paint and it would stick.

My question is this, how much am I supposed to sand? Am I better off sanding a little by hand then painting or, am I better off sanding all the way down then priming and painting on fresh wood?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County