SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hbrrbh

Is anyone using actual drawers for pantry items?

hbrrbh
10 years ago

We are planning a variety of spaces for pantry items in our new kitchen.

We have a 48 inch wide, 15 inch deep base cabinet unit for all the baking related foods (we bake a lot, so we will fill this space with these types of item, we are currently using a pantry of this depth for this type of food in our current kitchen and it works well.)

We will have a shallow (9 or 10 inch) base cabinet about 40 inches wide for some overflow pantry items, this cabinet will likely need to be used for some other storage as well. But this is where we can stash the big olive oil containers, bottles of club soda, etc.

And we have the official "pantry" cabinet -- this is a 24 inch wide, 24 inch deep stack next to our oven stack -- we are planning to install a combi steam oven as part of this stack, but will have room for pantry storage above and below. (The combi steam oven is about 18 inches high.) I know this isn't ideal for the pantry storage, as the oven is going to be occupying the prime usable space equivalent to the space above a counter top, but this is what we have to work with.

We're trying to decide how to outfit the storage in this stack. Originally, I was thinking of "bat wing" storage for all of it -- a 16 inch interior shelf plus 8 inch deep shelves on the door of the cabinet (we will have one 24 inch door). I'm still thinking of this for the upper section -- I realize that the items in the back will be hard to see, but I think that the items on the door will be very accessible, even though they are high. (I would store light items such as boxed goods on the doors.) But rollouts are another option (at least for the lower storage) and drawers have also been suggested.

I've never tried using drawers for pantry storage -- is it hard to see what is in there? We need to use this pantry for regular, day to day items such as canned goods, boxed, pastas, rices, chips, crackers, etc., not for longer term storage, and I"m imagining that I would want a lot of these heavier items, such as soups, tomato sauce, etc. to be in this lower pantry section. Does anyone have examples or experiences with using actual drawers (not pullouts or rollouts)? And, if so, how high did you make the drawers for pantry items.

Thanks so much!

Comments (9)