SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

Take 2: New small kitchen layout. Opinions please!

vdinli
10 years ago

Hi folks, I had posted my original layout thread in the beginning of September and got good feedback from you all(thread linked below).

Some basic background: A family of 2 adults to 2 kids(7 and 1) in Long Island, NY. I cook most dinners at home, lunch is usually leftovers or TJ's wraps. The major goal for this renovation is to add some much needed counterspace and increase storage options (our kitchen table doubles for both currently)

Here's what the current layout looks like:

Unfortunately, we can't do the fantastic layout Buehl drew (with switching DR and Kitchen) because of budget reasons.

Here's the layout I like currently based on Lavender Lass and Sena's suggestion.

Things I like about this plan:
A better traffic flow. Seems to have adequate storage for our needs.

My concerns with the current plan:
The raised ledge near the basement door-is it too close? we can't move the door. The door won't hit the ledge but it is going to be pretty useless spot for anyone to sit at. I considered walling up that area but I don't think I like the idea of entering the house to a face a closed wall.

The sink and DW location-it is not near the DR table where we eat all our meals and where we store our everyday dishes in a sideboard. Any alternate location? I don't want to move the range to the half wall as we desperately need a powerful hood with all the Indian cooking we do.

I would like to fit in an appliance garage to hold a mixer and a toaster oven that we use fairly often. I currently have it next to the range but I am not sure of that location. I don't think we can swing one of those combination oven/mw on the budget but I have it in mind. Those can't go below the counter, right?

We are getting estimates right now to put in a beam so that we can take down the walls separating the Kitchen and DR and LR. Unfortunately both of them are load-bearing and this being LI, I am bracing myself for a sticker shock.

Does this layout look OK to you guys or can we do better?

As always, thanks for any input or opinions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Original layout thread

Comments (5)